How can i "package" an FCP Project?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redAPPLE, Aug 1, 2006.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi guys.

i would like to "package" an fcp project so i could archive it and maybe re-edit the video/audio in a year or two.

think of it like the "package" option in InDesign. i could package all the fonts, pix etc. in one folder. then i could reopen the folder in another computer and i could re-edit it there.

is there a way to do this with FCP?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While not nearly as tidy as InDesign's "package" feature sounds, you can do this w/FCP w/a bit of effort. The down side is FCP's Media Management is not that great (it's commonly called the Media Mangler) so you'll have to double check to make sure that everything worked right and nothing is missing. You can read up on the Media Management tool in the FCP manual and/or you can check out the "consolidate media usage" section of this article over at kenstone.net.

Lethal

Edit: The other option is just to save your project file and any gfx and music files you used and if you want to revist the project you'll just batch digitize back in the footage that you need.

3. Jopling macrumors 6502

The Media Manager definitely screws up a ton of stuff, that is why its always important to have your files organized. When starting a new project I always make a folder for it and store all external files in that folder on my external drive. That way I can manage my space and projects more easily.

4. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is there something like a checklist, on how to organize stuff?

it really seems to be a daunting task. i would just wish to store everything in one "package" so maybe in a year or two, i could revise the film i create, especially when i improve my final cut skills...

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Here is what I would do. Just burn the project file and any graphics/pictures, and audio/music files you used onto a CD or DVD. If you want to revisit the project just copy the files back onto your computer and batch capture the footage.

Lethal

6. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I always made individual folders for each project i was working on and then when i launched fcp i would change all the scratch disks to that folder and save the project file in the same directory. Any other folders like audio, graphics etc i would add before archiving making sure to reconnect all the media and save. I have to admit i don't bother anymore but it always worked well for moving projects between computers.