Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I have a few folders on my Mac which I would like to password protect.
How do I go about doing this? I tried using FileVault, but it said it neede 3887GB of hard drive space to create a copy of my home folder?

Is there any other ways to do this in Mac OS X, or are there programs which will do this for me?

Thanks for any help.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The easiest way is to make an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility. Select New Disk Image and, choose your size and select AES-128 encryption. When you double click the disk image, it mounts like a CD or like the disk images that most 3rd party OS X software downloads in.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
gekko513 said:
The easiest way is to make an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility. Select New Disk Image and, choose your size and select AES-128 encryption. When you double click the disk image, it mounts like a CD or like the disk images that most 3rd party OS X software downloads in.
Picture 1.png

And if you choose the sparse disk image format it will only use whatever space the contents is using (plus a little bit for overhead)... up to the point where the image is filled up, of course. At that point, make a new, larger one and move the stuff over... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.