how can I play a copy protected cd

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jlakis, Feb 18, 2004.

1. jlakis macrumors newbie

I just bought the new air cd and it won't even play in itunes because of the copy protection I assume.
    is there any way to get around this?
    thanks!

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    does the cd say its copy protected...iv always been able to play them on itunes

normally copy protected cds come saying if they work on macs or included a program to play the music.

u could always import it via audio in

but thats a pain

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Don't buy CP discs

If I was you I would return it for a refund and buy something else. You have to look out for Copy Protected discs because you cannot play them in computers. Buying the same music from the iTunes Music Store is the best alternative, if you live in the US.

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I got this cd today and it played & riped ok.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    could be a hardware problem. does itunes open up and see the cd?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes where exactly does the problem occur... when you pop it in, does the Mac see it at all? does it appear on the desktop? Does iTunes see it? Do you get an error message?

if it won't let you rip, period, i would definitely return the CD, it's the best way to protest copy-protection. But it sounds like the disc does not normally prohibit ripping, so I'd look for other problems.

paul

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

its the cp

I would suggest returning the cd, and complain. I would say that is the only thing you could do. CP usually doesn't let you play it in a computer so you can't rip it. Does anyone know if you do the shift thing on a mac, it doesn't start the Copy Protection like on a PC.

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Actually. Most CP schemes DO let you play them in a computer. A Windows computer. You need to play it through a proprietary audio player that runs only on Windows. People NEED to start paying attention to what they buy. This kinda stuff is bull****! :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I think SpyMac had an article a long time ago where you get a Black Sharpie Pen and make a circle on some part of the CD, and it makes the CP go away. I'm serious too.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I believe that was the outer rim of the CD.

11. m4rc macrumors 6502

I have several CD's that are apparantly copy protected, and they play fine on my Macs in iTunes, and can be ripped easily too. The 'black ring thing' blanks out the CP, as I understand it this is like a dummy track that is processor hogging, and if the computer can't recognise the format, it gives up. Or something like that, I'm sure someone will correct this. In general, don't buy CP CD's if you are against them - mine have all been presents!

The Air CD sounds like either a hardware problem or a faulty CD though, as has been said already.

Marc

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've ripped quite a few of the copy-protected CD's (like the last Radiohead CD) - I've found the mac deals with these better than PCs. My guess is that the CD is screwed. If a replacement won't work either then get a refund and download the files. It's not like you haven't tried to buy the damn thing is it?

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

That was only one of the various copy protection schemes. They dropped that after it was found to be so easily hacked.

14. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

The AIR Cd isn't copy protected. I have it and it plays / rips just fine.

pbbly a hardware or software thing. Or you have a bad disc.