How can I play SimAnt, SimTower and SimCity 2000 on my iMac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by seenew, Jul 9, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm running a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo iMac, and I don't have classic installed, don't even know if I CAN put classic on this thing. Is that the best way to go for what I want? If so, how can I do it?

Is there some other way to play these games? Haven't played them since my old Bondi Blue G3 iMac in like 98 or 99.. :(

2. jericho53 macrumors regular

Classic does not work on Intel Macs. That much I do know. I use my old iMac for exactly the same thing as you just described.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Your best bet would be to pick up and older G4 tower or laptop and load only Mac OS 9 on that to do Mac OS 9 things.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

*SimAnt?!?!?!*

laughs.

(that was a good game though.)

5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

If you have access to MacOS 9.0 or MacOS 9.0.4 install disks then you could setup SheepShaver on your iMac. SheepShaver is like VPC but instead of emulating an Intel-based machine it emulates a G4.

I've had success running MacOS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver on my MacBook to use Framemaker (a document layout and authoring application).

6. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

How much does it cost?

Does anyone know of any type of emulator that has these games? It really sucks that Maxis or whoever doesn't release a Sim collection for DS or even newer PCs/Macs..

7. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Sheep Shaver is free.

There are another two applications that do the same thing, Basillisk II and PearPC but SheepShaver is by far the most usable and stable.

8. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

thanks for the link. :)
    Now I need to dig up my OS9 disks...:rolleyes:

9. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

I found my OS 8.5 disk and I have SheepShaver... Now how do I get OS 8.5 on here?

10. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

There are several walk-throughs in the Sheep Shaver forums: http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=a1b674b38b8d5c88c10e425458450e9e

Basic steps are:

1. Download SheepShaver
    2. Obtain a ROM file from an older Mac, or download -- see SheepShaver site for details.
    3. Configure SheepShaver options.
    4. In the SheepShaver GUI, create a "Volume". This is a disk image that will act as your hard drive for MacOS.
    5. Boot SheepShaver off your MacOS install CD
    6. "format" Volume for MacOS. This creates a filesystem in the "Volume" you created.
    7. Install MacOS onto your Volume.
    8. "Shutdown" SheepShaver.
    9. Remove CD from drive.
    10. Startup SheepShaver and it should boot your fresh install of Mac OS.

11. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Thanks for the link, but there are no guides for installing on an Intel Mac... At least as far as I could see from digging around..

12. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

The fact that it is an intel Mac is irrelevant. The SheepShaver application download from http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver dated 14.May.2006 is a universal binary. Download this application and double click on it to expand the archive.

Copy the resulting directory to somewhere on your hard drive eg. the Applications folder.

Next, follow either the Windows or Linux setup instructions here: http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver:help:setup
    (The windows screenshots most closely match the OS X SheepShaverGUI application. Ignore the note on that page that OS X does not have a GUI setup application, this statement is no longer accurate.)

Once you have configured sheepshaver, use the SheepShaverGUI application to create a hard drive image file. Next, put your MacOS CD into your CDRom drive and launch SheepShaver. Since the hard drive image is empty, SheepShaver will boot off the CD. At this stage you need to go through the standard install process for MacOS to install it onto your hard drive image.

One thread from the emaculation forum that may help is: http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3092&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You could also boot into XP and run the games off windows.

P.S. If you don't want to use too much hard drive space, you could probably gett a functioning Windows 98 setup, albiet only with generic drivers.

14. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Only XP+ will boot on Intel Macs. I use SheepShaver myself for Classic apps now, it's very good IMO.

[​IMG]

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's weird to see that window again.... :eek: