How Can I Put Classic on a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orangemacapple, Feb 12, 2007.

1. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

classic didn't ship with tiger, so when i upgraded to tiger on my emac, i just installed the old panther version of classic. it works fine.

now that i have a macbook c2d, i've been trying to figure out how to get classic on it (i need it for a couple things, like my old scanner)

it rejects my old panther disks. i tried using target and install it with my emac. no luck. i tried simply copying the files, but that didn't work either.

is anyone ABLE to run classic on a macbook? i thought the macbook would run ANYTHING, but i think perhaps i was mistaken.

if the emac and macbook are both running 10.4.8, it would seem kind of logical that the mb would have no problem with classic.

i keep trying to get rid of that old emac, but it keeps putting up a great fight -- it won't die and it runs everything i need. i should've just found a way to shrink it to notebook size and make it run off batteries.

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Classic will not run on a MacBook, because the MB has an x86 processor, not a PowerPC processor found in your emac.

3. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

but the macbook will run ppc apps, albeit a bit more slowly -- or am i remiss in my thoughts on that also.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

As far as i know, Intel macs do not support Classic, but PowerPC apps are supported trough the use of Rosetta.

6. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you Meowbot. I'll try that.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

8. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

If the problem is just your scanner, why don't you try using VueScan? I've tried it with a few different scanners and it worked with pretty much no setup required.
    If there are more programs, have you tried looking for an OSX equivalent?

9. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

i just bought a new scanner for my MBP. No power cord required, just a USB cable, how cool is that?

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You really aught to just not try...

Sheep-shaver really blows. Like, it really does.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, totally.

Don't waste your time. Mind explaining why you are doing this?

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Classic is dead and gone on Intel machines. Time to get a new scanner, bud (they're cheap).

13. orangemacapple thread starter macrumors 6502

my cat keeps looking at me and asking, "when am i going to be able to eat again? i've eaten all the mice and now i'm reduced to eating spiders and bugs. you keep buying goodies for your computer - when do i get something?" he's got a point.

thank you, Ripmax2000. i'll try vuescan.

14. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It works nicely for me, with only 256MB RAM :)

He did...for a scanner...

My Grandad now uses Parallels for his scanner, but used this before...its such a waste of money to buy a new one when he only needs it a few times per year...VueScan didn't work either...

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Parallels costs more than this scanner and this scanner, and is the same price as this scanner. And that was with 30 seconds of searching, I'm sure there are plenty more scanner deals. There are also many scanners that are just slightly more than Parallels, and save you the hassle of, like, using Parallels.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Well, he got Parallels for other reasons...and so stopped using SheepShaver...