Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
I went out and bought the phillips 00 from home depot specifically to remove the RAM slot door on my MBPro. The first two came out with ease. The last is now stripped. Whats the safest/easiest way to get it out? I refuse to pay Apple to remove it. Id rather live without an extra GB then support them screwing their customer, pun intended.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
might want to use one of those Dremel tools to perhaps cut a small slit in the top of the screw. I did this once and it worked. Allowed me to use a screwdriver to remove the screw. Not sure if it's the solution you are looking for. Hope this helps.

~e

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
eclipse525 said:
might want to use one of those Dremel tools to perhaps cut a small slit in the top of the screw. I did this once and it worked. Allowed me to use a screwdriver to remove the screw. Not sure if it's the solution you are looking for. Hope this helps.

~e

this is a good idea. turn the screw into a flat head. remove it and then put a new one in there.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
This happened to me on an EMI finger (a bit of mettle that helps reduce electro magnetic interference) when I was changing out my HD on my PB.

What happened was this. I had a fine set of ceramic ESD tools, and the Phillips head broke off flush with the screw. Worse than stripped, because I couldn't get my Dremel to remove the ceramic bits. I chiseled out the ceramic bits as best I could and then used a Phillips, which then stripped the screw head. I took a small tool hammer and a sharp flat head, and tapped in until it had a good bite. Then, while applying pressure, I used a pair of pliers to slowly loosen the screw. This was a good solution, as I could reuse the screw.

I am not pissed off at the screw striping, but I am at loosing a favorite ESD tool. I really hadn't expected the part to require so much torque.

I likely should of used a Japanese Cross Head on that particular screw, instead of a Phillips. Japanese Cross Head- a short description.

I am looking for a screw kit for the MBP, but I can't find one. Likely you could buy a bag of 4 screws from an authorized Apple Repair shop for about 10$, at least that's what I would offer to pay for 4 screws. Though- you would think Apple would fix it and not void your warrenty.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Ram is a customer upgradable part. Apple should fix for you for nothing under warranty. You didn't INTENTIONALLY screw the screw in too tight; theywill be able to tell this because the memory inside is oem.

Apple replaced the whole logic board on an under warranty Tibook of mine when I was on the phone with them as the tech led me throudh changing ram and i nervously broke off one of the plastic ram holders. (real newbie jitters). Because i was on the phone with them at the time and becuase it was a custermer upgradeable part, they replaced the whole logic board -- the ram holders were part of the board.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
ieani said:
I went out and bought the phillips 00 from home depot specifically to remove the RAM slot door on my MBPro. The first two came out with ease. The last is now stripped. Whats the safest/easiest way to get it out? I refuse to pay Apple to remove it. Id rather live without an extra GB then support them screwing their customer, pun intended.

happened to me before. the screws on PB strip really easily. grapes is right, you just need to drill it out. it isn't hard, you just have make sure you remove all the metal shavings.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
This is definitely spam...someone can delete it later, but the first thing I thought was to say to "call the vise grips (vice police anyone?) and arrest the thing." :rolleyes:

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
bousozoku said:
This is definitely spam...someone can delete it later, but the first thing I thought was to say to "call the vise grips (vice police anyone?) and arrest the thing." :rolleyes:

What on earth are you talking about?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
They have screw removal kits, but the ones I have used are mostly for wood screws and such. It's basically a smaller screw with backwards threads designed to screw into metal. You screw the remover into the first screw to get a grip, and as you screw it in, it unscrews the first screw since it's threaded the opposite direction. I doubt they these things for such small screws like the ones on a ram slot.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 3,802

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Jay42 said:
They have screw removal kits, but the ones I have used are mostly for wood screws and such. It's basically a smaller screw with backwards threads designed to screw into metal. You screw the remover into the first screw to get a grip, and as you screw it in, it unscrews the first screw since it's threaded the opposite direction. I doubt they these things for such small screws like the ones on a ram slot.

you are right they are small, once you start drilling the head of the screw would basically turn to shards and shavings and it will be free.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
FFTT said:
It's under warranty, I would take it into the Apple Store FIRST before you accidentally slip or drill too wide or damage any other components.
I agree with you 100%, bring it to Apple, see if you can get it fixed or replaced for free. If they refuse or the cost is too much then attempt to do it yourself. The last thing you want to do is attempt to take it out and then bring it to the Apple Store and they'll tell you "Well you tired to do this and it broke it...etc" so better be safe than sorry. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.