How can I remove items from the "Open With" menu?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Roy Hobbs, Jun 12, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

When I control click on a jpg to use the open with feature it takes forever to load the available programs. Looks like after installing photoshop there are about 20 additional options in my open with menu.

How can I remove items from the "open with" menu??

2. macrumors 65816

I have the same with ImageReady, quite annoying. The apps reside in the Photoshop folder...maybe try moving them to a different folder? I doubt that'll work though. I wonder if the Open With just scans the App folder to see if stuff can open the file you're playing with.

3. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Find the droplets in Photoshop folder -> Samples -> Droplets (one folder for Image Ready, one for Photoshop), then make two zip archive with all the droplets, one in each folder. Keep the zip files and the droplets you want to keep and trash the rest of them.

4. macrumors 65816

So does Open With just scan the app folder?

5. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't know, I think it just scans the entire system for applications that can handle the file type in question (you can get a complete list of applications e.g. from System Profiler). I know for sure it also looks in /Applications, ~/Applications and /Developer/Applications with subfolders as well as /System/Library/CoreServices and /Spill (my Games folder).