Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJ2Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you in advance for your help.

I use Mountain Lion on my iMac and I'm someone who likes to keep all my files reasonably organized. Sometimes I will come across a file I want to re-name or delete while browsing through files in the "select file to upload" window (For instance, while uploading a photo to Facebook or Craigslist on my internet browser) However, this is not possible because when I right click, the only option is "QuickLook" (See screenshot below).

I then have to switch to a new window of finder, locate the file and delete or rename it. This process becomes quite time consuming when repeated hundreds of times over the course of years. It would be so much easier to have the option of deleting or re-naming files the MOMENT I find them. Windows lets you do this, but unfortunately it does not seem to be a feature in Mac. It seems self-intuitive that this would be a useful feature to many people.

In summary, is anybody aware of an add-on that will permit deleting / re-naming files within a "select file to upload" window?

Thank you again!

EBAgS00.jpg

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
In a word, No. The file selection dialog is not the Finder. It does not let you do all the things you can do in the Finder. I know that in Windows, a file selection dialog is essentially just a Windows Explorer window.
In OS X, things are kept simple and separate: different tools for different jobs.

However, there are a number of easy ways to get to the relevant folder in the Finder once you've saved something else there.

1. In the Finder, use Go > Recent folders.
2. Go to the Recent Items menu under the Apple menu. Holding down <command> will let to reveal the enclosing folder of the recently modified file.
3. Use Spotlight to search for the file and hold <command> to reveal the enclosing folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.