How Can I Restore My Dock to Default?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stevez0r, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Stevez0r macrumors member

I let my 3 year old son on the Mac and he did some removing, and rearranging. Is there anyway I can get it back to default?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

He just messed with the Dock or he messed with the Library folder? I hope it wasn't the folder.

Either way I'd recommended downloading TransparentDock, or TinkerTool, and they have options to change the Dock around, including the Restore Defaults. Hopefully that should help ya.

www.versiontracker.com

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I haven't tested this, but I bet if you trash ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist it'll do it. You might want to move it to a differenct folder first, so that if it doesn't work, you can keep whatever is held in that file.

4. Stevez0r thread starter macrumors member

No, it wasn't the folder. I'll give that app a try. Thanks

5. jasmine84 macrumors member

jasmine84

Just as an FYI, I just tried this and it totally worked :) So thanks! Just remove the file and then restart and voila! Just like new.

6. GigiMars macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Same thing happened to me! Somehow, my doc got jacked up when I lent my MacBookProt to a friend the other day and I couldn't figure out how to add my Apps and Downloads folders back to the Doc - these instructions fixed it perfectly! Thank you!!

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You don't need an app for that. Just find the real folder and drag it to the right side of your Physician, er Dock.