iPad How can I restore my iPad from iPhone 5 backup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbrown, Dec 29, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Just got a new iPad 3. Now I want to restore it from my iPhone 5 backup - so I have all my emails / texts and photos.

I backed up my iPH 5 - then restored it to my iPad.

Now it's partially worked. It has succeded in doing my email accounts, but not my messages or photos.

How can I do this?

cheers:)

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't think it is possible. In fact I am surprised you managed to get that far.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

It running fine - other than a few things not syncing. Surely there's a way to sync photos?

4. macrumors 6502

iCloud answers everything. :)

5. macrumors 6502a

This!

I sync my contacts, calendars and bookmarks via iCloud. Photos I still sync to my iMac and backup to my iMac.

Steve

6. macrumors 6502

The only thing I was kind of surprised about was that Photostream only shows photos that are added from the time you turn it on. I kind of figured that everything in photostream that was on my phone would also show up on the ipad. It didn't. Only photos taken after I set it up on my iPad.

7. macrumors 6502

I backup my photos to the cloud and was a bit disgruntled that when I restored my iPad from my iPhone backup the photos did not get synced to iPad.

8. macrumors 6502

Photos in general aren't synced to iCloud. You sync from iTunes and that is where they are stored on folders on your computer. How do you backup your photos to the cloud - it only does those that are taken on a device.
    Photo stream are the only ones that get to the cloud and back. Similar to music if you don't do match - stored and synced to a computer.