How can I share files between my Mac & my PC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by h0kie99, Jan 9, 2005.

1. h0kie99 macrumors member

I have both a Mac and a PC (of course I love my Mac much better!) and I want to be able to share files & share a printer between the two. At first I tried just doing it myself (ha! no luck!) and then I searched for help on Google, but I still haven't found much direction. Both of my laptops are plugged into my router via Ethernet cable. Anyone have any advice? I'd love to be able to stop emailing myself files back and forth! However, I also don't want to corrupt my Mac by linking it up to a PC. I don't know much about this...

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check this thread out
    Guide:Networking Windows with OSX

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. SteveC macrumors 6502

Maybe I was fortunate to have everything go REALLY smoothly when I networked my house, but you'll probably have a simliar experience once you get the info. you need. It was really easy.

Here's the instructions I followed:
    Plug all computers into the router (or connect via wireless cards) and turn all computers on.

Turn on Personal File Sharing and Windows File Sharing on the Mac.

On the PCs, setup shared folders (at least 1 folder on each computer).
    To do that, right-click any folder, click the sharing tab, and enable sharing of the folder by enabling the box next to "Share this folder on the network."

Next, right-click the My Computer icon on your PC desktops. Select the Computer Name tab and give the computer a unique name you can use to identify them, and will know which one you're connecting to.

Save that and you should be good to go.

To connect to one of the PCs from the Mac, go to the Go menu and select Connect to Network. You should see the PC names you just gave them.

You can also access the PCs by typing smb://ComputerName (the name you gave them).

4. h0kie99 thread starter macrumors member

5. SteveC macrumors 6502

Report back on how it goes. :)

6. h0kie99 thread starter macrumors member

I set it up using the thread that MacDawg referred me to and it works beautifully! The file sharing is easy... this will save me so much time and headache with the emails!

I can't figure out how to get my printer on the network, though. I can access my Mac's printer through the network connection on my PC, but I can't actually print anything. When I try to set it up, my printer isn't listed, so I just picked the most similar one ... not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Thanks everyone!