How can I share folders in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

This is driving me nuts and all the responses I've found by searching simply say "Copy the folder to your public folder" which won't work for me.

I've got a couple of folders on different hard drives to my primary drive that I want to share to both Windows and OS X users, primarily Windows so that they don't need a password or username to access them and don't have write priviledges.

In Windows this would be an easy thing, right click the folder and share but in OS X I can't for the life of me work out how to do this, it should be a really simple thing, right?

Like I said, copying these folders over to my public folder is not good enough because a) this is about 0.5TB worth of data and b) I don't want any authorisation of any kind.

Could someone possibly help me with this? Its driving me nuts, I spent eight hours last night organising the data, getting ready to share it!!

2. MacVault macrumors 65816

Networking, sharing, etc...

I hope so much that Apple is redesigning to whole way a user has to go about browsing for and connecting to networks, shares, etc. Windows XP/Vista is soooo far ahead of Apple in this area. Apple use to be ahead of MS in this area until OS X came out. Please, Apple, fix this!!!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do wonder, though... Microsoft's system works in parts because Windows is so sloppy with permissions.

Anyway, Sharepoints seems like a simple solution... just out of curiosity, is it possible to easily and safely set this up with alias links inside the public folder? I haven't tried that.

4. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That looks awesome, I'll give it a try, cheers! :)