How can I specify which disk drive becomes the target disk in Firewire Target Mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hubercats, Mar 21, 2006.

1. hubercats macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I would like to use Apple's Firewire Target Disk Mode to transfer data between two macs. One of the computers has a single disk drive and the other has two drives (one holds the OS X system files and user accounts and the other is formatted as an "old" HFS filesystem (which holds a Mac OS9.2 system). When I boot the two-disk system while holding the "T" key it comes up in Firewire Target mode. However, when viewed from the other computer all I can see is the "old" HFS disk and not the disk that has Mac OS X on it. Is there a way to see all disks over the Firewire interface or, if not, how can I set which disk comes up as the target disk?

Thanks,

Jim

2. hubercats thread starter macrumors newbie

Firewire target disk mode: Question answered

In case of interest to others I found out (from a tech. at the local Apple store in Seattle) that when you boot a mac into firewire target disk mode (by holding the "T" key down while booting) the disk that shows up on the other system is whatever disk has the jumpers set to be master. So, in my case, where I have two internal disk drives, one is the original disk that has OS9.2 on it (this disk came with the G4 when I bought it) and a 2nd drive that I installed OS X on. The new disk is jumpered to be a slave disk. Hence, when I boot the G4 in firewire target disk mode the only disk that the other computer "sees" is the old one since it is jumpered to be the hardware master on the IDE bus.

Cheers,

Jim