Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I'm running Bittorrent on my G5, which is connected to a 1mbps cable broadband thingy, kindly provided by NTL.

But it causes some strange side-effects.

It doesn't matter how much bandwidth is says it's using (it could be 4kbps or 80...) my general web-browsing just crawls to slower than 56k speeds. Is this my ISP punishing me for using potentially illegal software? Are there any little things I can do to limit the bandwidth I give to BT?

Thanks

Hob

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Depends what client you're using - is it just the basic BT client, or a more powerful, advanced client like Azureus? Regardless, there are settings in each to limit your upload speeds, which, if left untouched, will cause your upload speeds to be pinned, thus having a negative effect on your overall connection. Just limit your upload rate (save about 5-10 kbps for yourself, that will be more than plenty) and you should be fine. :cool:

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
hob said:
I'm running Bittorrent on my G5, which is connected to a 1mbps cable broadband thingy, kindly provided by NTL.

But it causes some strange side-effects.

It doesn't matter how much bandwidth is says it's using (it could be 4kbps or 80...) my general web-browsing just crawls to slower than 56k speeds. Is this my ISP punishing me for using potentially illegal software? Are there any little things I can do to limit the bandwidth I give to BT?

Thanks

Hob

I wish my Bittorrent would take more of my bandwith...i'm having the opposite as u...

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
DarkNetworks said:
I wish my Bittorrent would take more of my bandwith...i'm having the opposite as u...

No this is the strangeness of my problem...

Upload speed could be 7k, downloading at 4 or 5... and I'd still have trouble browsing... It's almost like it allocates itself most of the bandwidth.... Even though it's not using it...?

I'm using the regular client, none of this funky Azereus stuff... Although I might give it a go again!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I have the exact same problem.......there is simply no bandwith left even with 0 up and down :eek: :eek:

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
hob said:
:eek: but then how would I get videos of people using OS X on their PC's?! :eek:

Agree........BT does not have to be against the law....saw the video too :p

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
OK, I trashed the official BT client - turns out it gobbles up the CPU as well... I've gone back to Bits on Wheels now which didn't support Tiger immediately, so I stopped using it. It's as good as I remembered except I forgot about it :(

I suggest everyone else does the same!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
You reckon? For normal web browsing I usually use up about 10-20kbps. Maybe I just refresh too many tabs at once or something... :(

It seems to do the trick for me, but hey, whatever works for you!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
hob said:
OK, I trashed the official BT client - turns out it gobbles up the CPU as well....

Yeah, forgot to mention that in my initial post - don't use BT. ;) As you say, it is a huge resource hog, and other clients like Azureus and Bit Comet appear to be much better from my experience. Plus they are more powerful apps to begin with. :cool:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You might also restrict the number of active connections kept alive. More connections to peers means you are wasting bandwidth just for "handshaking". Limit to 4-8 peers and limit your upload bandwidth to 70-80% of capacity.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Lacero said:
You might also restrict the number of active connections kept alive. More connections to peers means you are wasting bandwidth just for "handshaking". Limit to 4-8 peers and limit your upload bandwidth to 70-80% of capacity.

Good suggestion, that will help as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.