How can I switch from a 4S to a 5 on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exvidious, Jan 9, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me with this? I'm running on an AT&T 16GB iPhone 4S, and want to purchase an iPhone 5 for AT&T. Now, as far as I know, I cannot use an early upgrade because I'm an added line onto someone else's contract, and if I early upgrade then my contract would exceed the account holder's contract. My idea now is to purchase an unlocked iPhone 5 and either see if AT&T can activate a nano sim with my account, or if worst comes to worst buy a sim card cutting too. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

My apologies if this is in the wrong section or any other error is made, I'm new to this forum.

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

You can purchase an i5 and then just go to AT&T and they will give you a nano sim with your number for free.

3. macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    That's right.
    If you plan on ever using your iPhone4S though with this same number than you can also get your SIM modified for the iPhone5 and the outer piece used (with the cut down SIM) will allow you to pop it back into your 4S.

4. macrumors 6502

Doesn't need to be unlocked, it can still be ATT so you can get the LTE.

You will need the account holder to get a new SIM at ATT.

You will need the account holder to get them to activate LTE of your ATT iphone.

OR you can get a Verizon iPhone 5, trim your sim and only get HSPA without the account holder ever knowing anything happened.

5. macrumors 601

Have you actually checked on your upgrade eligibility?

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm not close to an upgrade.

7. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Then just buy it and activate it, there's no secret surprise that's going to happen, you own the phone and have a contract with them.

8. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Not sure how AT&T works, but i bought my Verizon 5 at an Apple store, told them my phone number and the SIM was came with the phone.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

So like just buy it new off of AT&T is what you're saying?

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, is anyone aware of anywhere to maybe get the i5 at alittle bit of a cheaper price?