How can i tell if my MBA is used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by financeguy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I recently bought a MBA from a 100% positive eBay power seller, who advertised it as "new". It came in a sealed box and looed brand new. I went through the startup process and registered the product successfully using the serial number.

However, when I checked the warranty, it says that it expires on 1/28/10 (only 6 months left). Does this mean that my MBA is used? Is there anyway to know for sure?

2. macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Perhaps it was purchased new 6 months ago but was never opened. That would still qualify as new on ebay.

To me "new" means that when I get it the box is still sealed and the item was never opened or used. That doesn't mean that it still carries a warranty and that is a good question to ask a seller if they do not specify it. That's why when I sell "new" items that I never used, I will clearly specify what kind of warranty it has on it.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm fine with that scenario, but does that happen often? I'm just worried it was refurbished and sealed again. I researched some of the other threads and downloaded the coconut battery utility. It says it is 93% of full capacity and has had only 2 load cycles. Is that good or bad?

4. macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Was it a white box or brown? If it was refurbished by Apple they would use a brown box. White boxes are for new systems only.

Even if it was refurbished the warranty deal is the same. When Apple refurbishes a system it gets a new serial # and the warranty is reset for the new buyer.

5. macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

This happened to me when I bought a new Rev A from macmall said i had a few months warranty, call apple they will ask for your receipt and the will reset the dates for you.

But buying on Ebay they might not.

6. macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Apple uses plain white boxes for refurbs..

7. thread starter macrumors member

White box, but I guess they could have opened it if they wanted to.

8. macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Sealed white box and only 2 cycles? Sounds like new to me. I'd bet they just had inventory that was at least 6 months old.

Just do yourself a favor and DON'T buy an Applecare plan on ebay. Go to Amazon or LA Computers

9. nph
    macrumors 6502a

You can ask Apple to update the date and show proof of purchase date.

10. macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I dont think they will take a ebay receipt has to be from a authorized retailer.

11. macrumors regular

gooddeal

If you can do this, people don't need to buy applecare anymore. We all can just create a listing on ebay and ask apple to update the warranty.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Good to know.

13. macrumors 6502

I would definitely contact Apple, but because it wasn't an authorized reseller, I suspect that they'll tell you that you are out of luck, but it's worth a shot. You can also get an extended warranty through SquareTrade and they will cover ebay purchases, just put in your item number and it will quote everything for you. Just a thought.

14. macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

You can do this as I did it.