Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I've been having annoying connectivity issues at my home seemingly forever, which means three years.

I got Windstream 6 Mbps DSL when I moved in. I had my modem hooked up to my AEBS for maybe a year before I realized the wireless for it was also turned on. So I have been trying to work out my issues. The main thing is a second task getting paralyzed when another is downloading. For instance, right now I'm downloading a game on my Xbox. When I was on my iMac trying to use Facebook and two other sites, the Safari status bar just stayed about the same amount of blue most the time.

I have moved my AEBS to the most central part of my house, in the corner of the kitchen. I doubt I'm ever more than 50 feet away. I have the devices that can on a 5 GHz network. My Xbox and iPhone 4S are the only things not on it that use the Net regularly.

So I can't really tell what the trouble is. When I got my iMac on my 5 GHz network, it worked a little bit better. But that didn't avoid the trouble an hour ago. My iPad somehow seems immune to it for the most part.

I'm probably about to get my old job back, meaning I could afford a cable modem through either Charter or Comcast. One services this area. It's my only alternative to Windstream. I would switch if I knew that was the culprit, but I can't seem to determine the exact cause.

Any advice would rock.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
These type of issues are hard the debug on a forum because getting just the right piece of info is mostly a matter of luck:eek:
Well lets see.
You have:
1: DSL router
2:AEBS
3:iMac
4:iPhone
5:iPad
6:Xbox

1st question: are you using the DSL router or the AEBS for wifi?
2nd question: is anything wired or are all devices connected thru wifi?
3rd question: did I miss anything or are there other things using the network?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Tell me about it!

1) AEBS for wifi
2) Nothing wired right now
3) Also two :apple:TVs, BD player, TV, and Dish Network box (wired to an adapter that plugs into the power outlet)

All the Apple devices aside from the iPhone are on 5Ghz. Everything else is on 2.4. All the Apple stuff is N, and I think all the other stuff is just G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.