Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have backed up my iphone before, but since no one on here can tell me if backing up or setting up as new phone, from a restore is better. i have no choice, but to think set up as new phone is better. Only thing i want to be able to do is save my contacts so i can just sync them back to my phone. how can i do this as a set up from new phone.

Slypr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
If you have a mac sync your contacts from your iphone to your address book, not sure about on pc though

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
On a PC you can sync to outlook. Either way create another backup of that file, just in case.

You should also look into MobileMe, OTA syncing is great for this purpose; it automatically updates my iPhone and all of my PCs and my MBP.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i have windows mail. it says its the successor to outlook, but how do i sync it to that, so that all the contacts get saved on windows mail to use later?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Windows mail is the update to Outlook Express and is included in Vista. Outlook is an application included in Microsoft Office. You should be able to sync with Windows mail by setting up the syncing options in iTunes. :cool:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
yea, but if i go into my iphone tab and put ti to sync with windows mail. i will need to have the contacts in windows mail already. and idk how to do that.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
yea, but if i go into my iphone tab and put ti to sync with windows mail. i will need to have the contacts in windows mail already. and idk how to do that.

Nope, you only need to create one "dummy" contact in Windows Mail. In fact call it dummy! Makes it easier to find. When you go to sync for the first time you'll have two options: 1) merge contacts (the one you want); 2) replace contacts w/ etc...

Once you have merged your contacts you can delete the dummy contact.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
all i see is sync contacts with (windows mail) there are also other options, but i have it as windows mail. then it says all contacts or selected groups then it says put new contacts created in this iphone into this group.

idk what your talking about lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.