How can I transfer movie files (in iPad format) from PC to iPad, without syncing?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KevinM2, Feb 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2009
    I have been scratching my head, but I can't figure out how to do this.

My parents have brought me their iPad to put a few DVD converted movies on it (to watch while on vacation), however, I am at a loss as to how to put the movies onto their ipad, without syncing, as this appears to want to erase their iPad's contents (synced on their PC, which they don't have with them), and replace it with the contents of my iPad sync, from my PC, where I want to transfer the movies from.

Is there any way to transfer the movies from my PC (which is synced to my iPad) to their iPad (which is synced to their PC).

Oh, and in case it makes any difference, the movies are in fuly iPad compliant format, and play perfectly, having synced to my iPad OK
  2. Guest

May 8, 2008
    And that was useful how?

OP, do you/ your parents have the SD card adapter? You could simply put them on a SD card and transfer them that way (or at least view them).
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2009
    No, no adapter, unfortunately.

I would have thought that there was some 3rd party software out there (freeware, preferably, as it is only for this one job) to transfer the files over.

Sometimes, iTunes can be so frustratingly restrictive :rolleyes:
  4. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    Well... unfortunately, there really isn't a way to fix this at this point. If they had their iPad set to manually manage music and videos, I believe you could have just dragged the videos from your computer to their iPad. But I'm assuming that is not the case. Trying to change that setting now will still delete all music/videos from their iPad.

I believe if you have a file management app like Good Reader, you can drag and drop the video files into the app's document folder (under the Apps tab in iTunes). Not as elegant as having them in the video app, but your parents will be able to watch them.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2009
    Yes, I have good reader on my iPad. I will purchase it on their iPad and see if I can drop the files in manually.

Is it Good Reader that actually plays the files (assuming I can get them in there)?
  6. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    I'm not quite sure how it works on a programming level, but from an end user's POV, for all practical purposes it appears that GoodReader is playing the files.
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2009
    Sounds good. I shall give it a go...What's the worst that can happen :eek:

Thanks for the help :)
  8. macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    United States
    I realize I may be too late, and I'm not sure it works with video, but maybe Dropbox app? I use it to share files between my mac & iphone & ipad, but only 2GB free, more you have to pay. I'm not sure, but I think it would work with videos. Dropbox can be installed on pc/win, linux, etc. also, pretty universal.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    you can use air video. create a server on your computer with the movies and access the movies on the iPad without even transfering the movie! it works AWESOME!!! the server is free and the app is free with a full feature version for 2.99(totally worth it)

I use it to host my 260+ movies!
  10. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2011
    He already has, that wasn't his problem, his problem was he was wanting to put them onto a different ipad than what his itunes is syned to but didn't want to erase anything.

Personally I would have thought he could cancel the sync and then manually manage movies and copy them across like that, but I assume he figured it out because this is an old thread anyway.
  11. macrumors member

Feb 27, 2011
    This is easy to do. On the original computer that the iPad was synced to just choose to "manually" manage videos. Drag over what you want. Then plug it into a different computer and drag over more videos in iTunes. I do this all the time on mine and my wife's iPads. We mix and match content from 3 computers.
  12. macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2011
    London, England
    AvPlayerHD lets you transfer films via wifi without iTunes, and plays every format I've thrown at it.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2010
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2011
    I doubt this person still needs help with this problem a year later.
  15. macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2012
    Many users find difficulty in transferring iPad information using iTunes due to slow performance or because of incapability of transferring some files like sms, apps etc. To resolve this issue Apple introduced iCloud, it has ability to transfer videos, music and even apps. You can try it for transferring movie files if you find problem in iTunes.
  16. macrumors 68040

May 10, 2010
    There was some promotion codes recently for an app you might find helpful (yes, I got one):

worked for me with some photos and a movie for testing. The only downside is that the movie was ending up in the camera roll; not as you would expect in player. More a cosmetic topic.

GoodReader will do it, too. Like to use that with AFP shares direct from my iMac

SORRY: just saw the timestamp ...
    Note to myself: first read, then post !