How can I transfer music from iPod to new PC?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by PhaserFuzz, Feb 13, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My old PC completely crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings. So of course I lost all 40 gigs of music I had saved in my iTunes music folder. It is, however, all saved on my 3rd gen. iPod. Is there a way I can copy the music off the iPod onto the computer? I'm afraid if I plug it in, it'll automatically re sync to the new PC setup.

Thanks for any help!

2. macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm not a PC user.. but I would of imagined there's a iPodfolderopener for the PC, like there is for the Mac.. Perhaps you can try checking here? or search google.

good luck!

3. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Before you do anything else, in iTunes Preferences under "Syncing", check "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods". Or just delete iTunes to be absolutely safe, you can always reinstall it. Better than taking chances.

4. macrumors 6502

wakka092

In iTunes 7, under File > Transfer Purchases from iPod/iPhone. This only works for iTS purchases. But, for everything else, there's iDump. It's free and I got it off download.com. It's for PC and works great!

5. macrumors regular

You can also tweak your folder settings in windows to see your hidden folders. This will allow you to explore the hidden folders on your ipod using windows explorer. If you turn on the option in itunes to copy your songs automatically to your itunes folder then all you have to do is open the song files and they'll be copied automatically into your itunes.

6. macrumors G3

Kilamite

By far the easiest way to do it as you don't have to install any 3rd party crap or pay for anything.

7. macrumors regular