How Can I Use My Tv As A Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Toby Goodbar, Sep 9, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    hi i'm new to mac. former pc user but hated all the crashing and slowness. anyway...

i have a 2000 g4 powermac w/ the standard ati rage 128 pro video card. it has a vga port and a dvi (i think) port.

2. macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Sep 8, 2006
    i suppose you could use any tv as a monitor

what really matters is what kind of tv you are talking about if its hi def
    it will be ok
    if its a old glass tube 4:3 kind forget it, its to small a resolution
    it would work but its like looking at everything with a magnifying glass

Just wait a minute sonny let me get my spectacles
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    yea its a panasonic 30" glass tube. i'd still like to try tho, because right now i have no monitor for it. i've already made a vga to component video cable. but i don't know at what rates resolution etc to set it for. do you?
    if you have aim i could talk to you on that too....

i have to lug it over to my roomates side and use his monitor to change the settings....
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2004
    Stockholm / Sweden
    First of all your ATI card does not support Component. But you should be able to get S-VIDEO of the card with an ATI adapter. (Should have been included).

The resolution will then change automatically and you'll get an extra "Monitor" in OSX with the default resolution (Not sure your in a PAL or NTSC country).
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    can you tell me more about the adaptor i need? it wasn't included. US is an NTSC country.

ANYONE have any more info?
    OR, what video card WOULD support video output to TV?
  6. macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Sep 8, 2006
    well since you cant link to the apple website because its setup for per user basis or somthing i forget what its called exactly
    do a search at the store for adaptors or s-video
    they have a vga and a dvi to s-video one maybe more i dont know
    that should work if you have ADC then i dont know as i am not familiar with that