Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
VLC won't play, DVD won't play. The DVD works on the television's DVD player, but I cannot use that for this situation. How else can I watch this?:(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
VLC works fine, as does the DVD Player app that comes with Mac OS X. What model Mac do you have? What version of Mac OS X are you running? Is it a commercial DVD, like a movie, or one that someone burned?

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
MacBook 13" 2008-ish. Mac OS X 10.5.8. It's a commercial DVD.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
MacBook 13" 2008-ish. Mac OS X 10.5.8. It's a commercial DVD.
It should play fine. Maybe there's something wrong with the disk or with your optical drive. I can play DVDs without problems on my Early 2008 MBP running 10.5.8. I prefer VLC over DVD Player, but both work.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Neither are working for me. VLC goes into an endless effort to play with no success when launched, and DVD player will not change the drive region, and therefore does not play. For some reason, DVD player is stuck on Region 1, whereas this DVD is Region 2.
A message reads, 'This is the last time you can change the drive region'. I click the Change Drive Region button, and a window appears with error -70001, saying there is a problem changing the drive region.
I believe this could be the root of the application-wide problems, as there is no indication of which Region the DVD is attempting to play as in any other software?

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I cannot play other DVDs. I have the exact same problem with the other commercial DVDs I have attempted to play. I do not own any burned DVDs.

I can play CDs.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
^ I know about DVD regions - however, the fact that mine is currently set to Region 1 is a total mystery to me, as I have only ever watched Region 2 and Region 3 DVDs.

----------

I have tried Region X. It said my DVD drive was not RC-1 or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.