Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Im in germany the whole summer, and my MBP is north american. How can I watch PAL DVDs on this NTSC Laptop( im assuming these come "locked" or something)?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I would think that they'd work fine in DVD Player as well. But if not VLC, a media player that lets you play all kinds of different video formats. Great for the broadspectrumness (yeah I know it's not a word) but I don't really like the GUI.

**EDIT**
sorry above link is to PPC version I think. Here's the page where you can get PPC or intel for OSX link

adriantoll

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
Scotland
erkanasu said:
umm what?

DevilsRejection means http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

But if your laptop is North American, to be able to play Region 2 DVDs (North America is Region 1) you just have to insert a Region 2 DVD and you'll be prompted to change your drive's region to Region 2. HOWEVER, be aware that you can only change the drive's region a certain number of times (five I think), so it's not something that you can switch backwards and forwards indefinitely.

If you try playing a DVD with a different region code than your drive in VLC, you'll just get a blank screen. Unless someone knows about a way around that?

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
okay, so the only way then to do this on a regular basis is to rip to hard drive?

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
DevilsRejection said:
Will you install VLC already dammit and just be happy lol

haha, no. I dont have any pal movies, i want to be sure it works before I buy some. Also, someone just said VLC doesnt work, u just get a black screen if ure not in the right region....

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's a region coding thing not NTSC/PAL. Computers tend to be neither. They will display either standard fine.

If you get a Region 0 (i.e. no region code) PAL DVD it will play fine as will a Region 0 NTSC one.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
erkanasu said:
haha, no. I dont have any pal movies, i want to be sure it works before I buy some. Also, someone just said VLC doesnt work, u just get a black screen if ure not in the right region....

it works. the problem is more than likely the dvd will be from a different region. do you think an open-source dvd player would not play pal? If you actually look at the site, you'd see that most of the developers and staff are in Europe.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
robbieduncan said:
It's a region coding thing not NTSC/PAL. Computers tend to be neither. They will display either standard fine.

If you get a Region 0 (i.e. no region code) PAL DVD it will play fine as will a Region 0 NTSC one.

okay, that clears alot up for me, thanks. So, If i walk into a DVD store here in germany, will the DVDs i buy work fine then? What if its region 2, then I rip it removing the region? Where are region 0 dvds usually found?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
erkanasu said:
okay, that clears alot up for me, thanks. So, If i walk into a DVD store here in germany, will the DVDs i buy work fine then? What if its region 2, then I rip it removing the region? Where are region 0 dvds usually found?

You may not be able to rip it without making your drive region free or using up one of your precious region changes. Region 0 DVDs are found all over the world! They tend to be releases of minor films that the studios would prefer to release the same version everywhere. I have a few (generally Japanese films for some reason). Major releases are almost always region coded.

Region coding just proves that movie studios hate us!

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
robbieduncan said:
You may not be able to rip it without making your drive region free or using up one of your precious region changes. Region 0 DVDs are found all over the world! They tend to be releases of minor films that the studios would prefer to release the same version everywhere. I have a few (generally Japanese films for some reason). Major releases are almost always region coded.

Region coding just proves that movie studios hate us!

So in conclusion, I am SOL unless the dvd is region 0 or i use up my region changes...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
erkanasu said:
So in conclusion, I am SOL unless the dvd is region 0 or i use up my region changes...

Region-free firmware + Region X (I think it's called). You can change region as many times as you want and your drive becomes region-free at a hardware level allowing ripping without region changes (DVD Player.app still checks regions which is why you need to change region as often as you want).

I had it all working fine on my PowerBook G4. I havn't tried yet on my MacBook Pro (yet)...

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
robbieduncan said:
Region-free firmware + Region X (I think it's called). You can change region as many times as you want and your drive becomes region-free at a hardware level allowing ripping without region changes (DVD Player.app still checks regions which is why you need to change region as often as you want).

I had it all working fine on my PowerBook G4. I havn't tried yet on my MacBook Pro (yet)...

ya, that sounds good. Would this void my warranty? How would they even know if i brought it in to get it reapired on something completley different.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
erkanasu said:
ya, that sounds good. Would this void my warranty? How would they even know if i brought it in to get it reapired on something completley different.

It probably would void your warranty. The difficulty is even finding region free firmware. Good luck! If you find some come back and let us know...

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
If you're only going to be watching region 2 DVDs while you're in Europe, simply put the DVD in and let DVD player change the region. Then when you get back to the US, pop in a region 1 disc and you can reset it back to that region.

You can do this a few times (4-5 times, I think) so there's no danger of locking yourself out if you're only going to do it twice - once to region 2 and once to region 1.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Just buy a cheap external (USB) DVD reader from that region, you'll be fine. You might be able to find a region free one as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.