How can I watch videos on an iPod Nano (2nd gen)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iBookG4user, Mar 14, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I offered to install ipodlinux on my friend's iPod nano 2nd gen for him so he could watch videos, but found that only the first gen was supported. Is there any way to watch videos on the 2nd gen nano? (I have a mac he has windows)

2. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Sorry iBookG4user, I don't have an answer for you... but am intrigued by the question. iPod nano can play video under linux? I never would've guessed that the iPod's processor is strong enough to do that without a dedicated video decoding chip. :confused:

3. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I think the real question is:

Is it worth it to watch videos on such a small screen?

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Video playback in Linux actually work before Apple supported it. But it only plays uncompressed video. So there is little decoding to be done.

5. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I don't think that would be very pleasureable, and you could only have like 2 movies.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The iPod gen 5.5 is hard enough to watch videos on.

7. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm not the one who wants to have the movies on the iPod, it's my friend. I have a nice 60GB Video for my movies.

So far from what I've found out it turns out that the firmware is protected on the second gen nano and there is no way to install it. Hopefully someone else found a solution, I hate when I can't do something I said I could :(.

8. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Export your video frames as images :) this was how they faked "video" on the first color iPod. You can set your audio as the slide show background music. Not practical but it would work.

9. robPOD macrumors 6502

No I dont think there is any way to watch movies on your ipod nano 2nd gen. I have been reasearcing this for a while and until they crack the 2nd gen nanos firmware, there will be no ipod linux, rockbox etc so no way to watch movies.

10. tysonhemelstran macrumors newbie

Umm... RockBox?

Wow, This is an old thread... I guess Rockbox wasnt out yet...