Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GOTML

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
:mad:
How is it possible that i go to apple support to get my ipod (black ipod video) repaired because of scroll wheel mal-function and bad battery life (all of the sudden) and i type in my serial and it says it it out of warranty, when like two weeks ago it said it had over 200 days left, i bought it in Fevruary off ebay (Sealed) and is it possible to be out of warranty? apple gives the standard 1 year (6 months of service without paying for shipping, it hasn't even been six months, its been 5) and i got it in Late February.

So how is this possible? Has anyone experienced this, does someone know what i can do as i need to get it fixed and i'm not paying a bunch to get it fixed.

PLEASE help me, maybe someone has a serial i can use in this freak situation.

-Wes

GOTML

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
GimmeSlack12 said:
Umm, have you tried calling Apple? You are aware that online doesn't always work right.
I guess, but calling apple, =waiting and more waiting, then having someone say oh its out of warranty, thats what our records indicate, even though that is impossible, or is it, am I wrong?

-Wes

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
The year/6 month ticker starts the second it leaves the apple storing facility on the way to the reseller/store. This means that it is possible you are out of the 6 months, but not possible for you to be out of the 1 year, seeing as the video hasn't been out for a year. Call them up or head for the apple store, because that is the only way you are going to get this sorted out.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
GOTML said:
I guess, but calling apple, =waiting and more waiting, then having someone say oh its out of warranty, thats what our records indicate, even though that is impossible, or is it, am I wrong?

-Wes
Well then just sit at home and bitch about it more. That should get the ball rolling shouldn't it?

You asked for advice kid.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
GOTML said:
... i bought it in Fevruary off ebay (Sealed) and is it possible to be out of warranty?....

if you bought it from a private party then the warranty would have started when THEY bought it from Apple, not when you bought it from them off ebay

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
GimmeSlack12 said:
Well then just sit at home and bitch about it more. That should get the ball rolling shouldn't it?

You asked for advice kid.

Well people are used to this approach...most take it to politics. And changing that approach may entail a bit of effort towards a new approach that you may not like as much as the last one, so why do it? We're all going to die in the end...whats the point? ;)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Felldownthewell said:
Well people are used to this approach...most take it to politics. And changing that approach may entail a bit of effort towards a new approach that you may not like as much as the last one, so why do it? We're all going to die in the end...whats the point? ;)
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. But I'm feelin' it.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Earlier this year, when I went to enable AppleCare for my iPod, the website said it was out of warranty, with a sales date December 2004, whereas I had bought it in February 2005.

I called AppleCare customer service directly and they sorted it out in 10 minutes.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
GimmeSlack12 said:
I'm not really sure what you are talking about. But I'm feelin' it.

As long as you are feeling it, everything is okay :D

(In reading back over what I said I realize it makes very little sense. And I doubt it will make more sense if I clarify. Sufice to say I was argeeing with you.)

GOTML

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
plinden said:
Earlier this year, when I went to enable AppleCare for my iPod, the website said it was out of warranty, with a sales date December 2004, whereas I had bought it in February 2005.

I called AppleCare customer service directly and they sorted it out in 10 minutes.
Great, i guess i will do this, I don't have a apple store within an hour of me even, so I'm not going out to it, but i was just expressing my frustration with customer service on the phone in general, such as paypal, which is Terrible!
So i am sure that apple will be better, Cheers.

-Wes

GOTML

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
GOTML said:
Great, i guess i will do this, I don't have a apple store within an hour of me even, so I'm not going out to it, but i was just expressing my frustration with customer service on the phone in general, such as paypal, which is Terrible!
So i am sure that apple will be better, Cheers.

-Wes
Hey Guys, i just tried it again and my order went through? weird, i didn't call either.
Thanks to all who helped.
-Wes

GOTML

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
I just realized, this is a replacement, which was replaced in may, which means its only been 143 days or so, so i don't have to pay shipping. Yeah!.

I am an idiot, and a happy one.

-Wes

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Felldownthewell said:
The year/6 month ticker starts the second it leaves the apple storing facility on the way to the reseller/store.
Actually it starts when the product is purchased, even from a reseller.

GOTML

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
solvs said:
Ya, i believe it starts when product is purchased, and scanned into computer system at retailer.

-Wes

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
solvs said:

Interesting...I was told by apple (in 2004) when I was trying to arrange a box to send back my faulty 3g (I sent in by ipod b/c the battery was dead and they sent me a refurb with horrible audio distortion and a busted HDD) that it starts as soon as they move the product to the store. I may have misunderstood, but according to their records it definatley started before I bought it from BestBuy...

Probably just a crafty AC person trying to gyp me out of a month of my warranty.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
When I bought my Power Mac G5, Apple showed a purchase date of 6 months earlier, even though I bought it brand new (long story, but the store I got it from ordered it BTO for someone who didn't end up buying it a few months earlier). I called them when I found out, and within a few minutes and a fax of my receipt they had it all fixed, and even sent me a free boxed copy of iLife '05, didn't even charge me the up-to-date fee. I see a whole lot of complaining -- much of it undoubtedly well deserved -- about Apple support on these forums but my admittedly few experiences with them have been 100% positive, moreso than just about any company I've dealt with. The only other companies I've had such good luck with are much smaller companies that sort of can't afford to lose even one customer (unlike Apple).

Long story short, CALL THEM.

REDSRT4

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
I had the same problem with an ibook a few years ago, and I called apple and I just had to fax in the reciept and they fixed the issue right away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.