All iPads How can you check your iPad generation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by preyan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

:confused:
    Is there any way, under settings, of knowing which generation you have? :confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

Pakaku

You can tell just by looking at the iPad itself.

3. macrumors 6502a

Go to Settings-General-About. Go to Apple's Warranty Checker at: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do and type in your Serial Number. Should tell you the generation of your iPad. Also a Google search of the Model number should also tell you the generation information.

4. macrumors G3

Its should be pretty easy based on the connector, physical size, and kind of screen.

5. macrumors G3

Night Spring

It's not so easy to tell apart the 2 and 3.

1 = noticeably thicker and heavier
    2 = thinner body than the 1
    3 = same body as 2, retina screen, just a tad heavier
    4 = lightning connector

If you have a 2 or 3, and you don't have another iPad to compare, it can be hard to tell whether you have a retina screen or not.

6. macrumors member

Does your ipad have a lightning port? Lighting ports are only present on the 4th generation ipad and ipad mini.

Does your ipad have a retina display as well as a dock connector? 3rd generation ipad.

Does your ipad have a lower resolution screen as well as a dock connector? 2nd generation ipad.

Is your ipad thicker than most pictures of iPads you've seen? 1st generation ipad.

7. macrumors 68020

Wouldn't whether you have Siri or not tell you whether you have a 2 or 3?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for the smart answers :D
    Firstly, I know personally which one I have but was wondering if a user bought one and in time, they don't know which generation they have.

Secondly, for the people asking how does it look like, doesn't feel lighter, etc. The assumption you made is I had or have another iPad to compare with. The normal household are not techno geeks and won't know which generation they have. Lightning port is an indication you have the current generation but what happens after a couple generations but still with lightning port? And assuming, like version 3 and 4, the outside looks the same.

I know the model number has an algorithm that determines when it was manufactured etc though it would be nice to just to settings to see the generation number or even month and year manufactured to get an idea :confused:

9. macrumors 6502a

I just asked Siri "what type of iPad is this?" and she said, "would you like me to search the web for right handedness?" So that hint might not work :eek:

10. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Not sure if you are jokingly but in case you aren't, the poster was pointing out iPad 2 doesn't have Siri. So if you have an iPad you aren't sure is a 2 or 3, push and hold the home button, and of nothing happens, you have a 2.

11. macrumors 68040

I don't agree. I had the 2 and 3:
    2 is lighter and thinner - very easy to feel difference
    3's retina display (just the icons) speaks for itself and very easy to decipher

12. macrumors 6502a

Very easy imo.
    1st generation is the thickest and literally looks like a tablet (square edges).
    2nd gen is the thinnest
    3rd gen has the dock and is a bit thicker than the 2nd
    4rth gen has lightning
    I probably would not be able to tell the diff between retina and non-retina without having both in front of me.

13. macrumors 68000

ditzy

The first gen looks different from the others. Second doesn't have siri. Third has old connecter, but has siri. Forth has lightning connecter.

14. macrumors 68030

Thickness, schmickness. Everyone is making this needlessly complicated.

Does it have a camera? If not, then it's 1st Gen.
    If it has a camera but no retina (hold it a few inches from your face, and if you see dots then it's not retina) it's 2nd Gen.
    Retina and 30-pin connector - 3rd Gen
    Retina and Thunderbold - 4th Gen.

If you can't identify it by sight in the first 15 seconds then you aren't trying.

15. macrumors G3

Night Spring

The difference is easy to tell because you have them both, so you can compare. If you had only one, it would be hard to tell.

16. macrumors 68040

Okay I see your point.

17. macrumors G3

Night Spring

That method doesn't work for everyone -- if I hold it that close to my face, whole thing just blurs.

18. macrumors G3

In "Settings->General->About" get the model number and enter it in the search box at the Abt website - it's a store, but they seem to include the discontinued products. Note that the model should be 8 characters and end in an "A" whether or not it's shown on the iOS device. Do not include the "/" as part of the model number.

19. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'm sure there is a way to do it in Settings buuuut

iPad 1: Non-retina and no camera
    iPad 2: Non-retina with camera
    iPad 3: Retina with 30-pin dock connector
    iPad 4: Retina with Lightning Connector

:)

20. thread starter macrumors 6502

And what happens when #5 has retina and lightning connector? With no other physical attribute difference to the human eye (such as a better camera lens)?

You people don't get it. Without touching and feeling, one will not know! :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

iPad 5 is supposed to have a different build, similar to the Mini. But that's not for another few months so no need to speculate on nothing... :rolleyes:

22. macrumors regular

Just turn it over. On the back, first and 4th generation say "iPad", 2nd says "iPad 2" and third says "iPad 3". The difference between 1st and 4th is the lightning connector.

23. macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure they all say "iPad". Same with all generations of "iPhone".

24. macrumors 6502a

Commy1

iPad 1 - beastly
    iPad 2 - 30-pin, looks different than iPad 1
    iPad 3 - 30-pin, Retina
    iPad 4 - Lightening, Retina

Or check in the About section.

25. macrumors 65816

Except the 5th generation iPad is expected to look quite different.

I just think this is a really odd thing to worry about. If you're going to buy a new iPad, you either A) want the newest iPad, B) want the cheapest iPad, or C) know nothing about iPads and just want an iPad. In which case you're only worrying about the 2, the 4, and the mini. All of which have distinct differences.

If you receive an iPad as a gift... well, it's a gift. The person that bought it for you should be able to tell you which kind of iPad it is if you don't feel like spending a couple minutes looking it up.

Is it a mild inconvenience? Yes. But it's not a big enough deal to raise a stink over.