How can you reset the dvd drive regional settings counter?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rympy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. rympy macrumors member

Nov 7, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm wondering if anyone knows where/how to have the counter for my dvd drive reset. I am living in S.Korea and I have been switching back and forth between Region 1(US, Canada) to Region 3 (S Korea) fairly frequently. I'm only allowed to switch the setting 1 more time.
    I've heard something about an "authorized vendor" reset but can't find any info about it. I've also heard of some cracks that can reset the counter I beleive these void the computer's warranty..

PowerbookG4 1.25GHz
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Region X can reset your number of switches.

But I think you have to use it in combination with a firmware update to make your drive multi-region. Updating the firmware does indeed void your warranty - although there is a 'reverse' firmware which you could use before sending your Mac into get fixed (always assuming that it's not the drive that is broken!)
  3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Getting an rpc1 firmware would be the way to do it, since you are frequently switching back and forth. As long as it's not your dvd drive that breaks, it really shouldn't impact your warranty. And like the above poster you can usually flash it back to the previous firmware, although it depends which drive you have. Check out this site to see if there is a firmware patch for your drive. If you have a Matsushita UJ-815 or UJ-816 you'll be able to patch it, and with the UJ-815 you can revert to the original firmware. So you'll want to check Apple System profiler for the type of drive you have, as well as the version of firmware (which is under the revision heading in Apple System Profiler)
  4. frenetic macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2004
    If I am not mistaken you can use VLC to play dvd's, I think it doesn't check the country zone...

Checked it, it's true, this comes from vlan's faq's

Does VLC support DVDs from all regions?

VLC uses libdvdcss to read all DVDs, disregarding their zone. All regions are supported without any constraint. It doesn't work 100% of the time and can take a long while before it starts the DVD.
  5. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I usually don't recommend VLC as it's always acted really flakey when I try using it, and I found using an rpc1 firmware to be more reliable. But a new version of VLC did just come out, which perhaps will run smoother.
  6. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2003
    Firmware and Region X

The only real way is to patch the firmware and use region X. And it supposedly voids warranty. I had done it on my powerbook and it worked fine. In fact if I get another powerbook and the firmware is available I would do it again in a second. It is just such a stupid thing to put on a laptop knowing that people are going to be travelling with them. I just flashed the original firmware back on before I returned it to Apple for repair. They never said anything about it and did the repair.

Fight the system!