How can you talk someone into buying a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by savanahrose, Oct 13, 2006.

1. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2006
    just this side of heaven, CHARLESTON SC
    How can you talk someone into buying a mac? My husband wants to get a laptop (WIindows) and I want to get a mac. I keep telling him that he will be happier with a mac. I never have had one but I have been up on this forum site for a while now and I think I have been brainwashed!!! ;)

Anyway back to the question. How can I talk him into a mac book? I have taken him to the apple store 2 times and he just does not seem to keen on the macs. He just doesn't like change.

Though I did not want to, I told him to wait for Vista. Hopefully, by then I can talk him into a mac.
    My son would love to get one, my daughter will do anything I say. lol

My brother wants to go to the apple store with me the next time I go. Closest one is 3 hours away.

Wish me luck!!

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice that I have gotten so far. You people are the best! :)
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Why would you want to talk someone into doing something they don't want to do?

The mac-evangelism has to stop. Let people make up their own minds.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Point out to him:

1) If he gets a MacBook, he can install Windows on it and then you will both be happy.

2) If he likes masterbation, then get a WinTel. ;)
  4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    Have to say I agree with Chundles.

I've tried many times over the years to bring people over from the darkside but they have to want to do it, and fully embrace it, otherwise you'll get nothing but whinging and whining when things don't work like Windows.

You could threaten to withdraw his privileges ;)
  5. Lau Guest

I agree on not trying to "convince" him. My boyfriend is now a Mac user because he bought a Windows laptop, and then spent the next year saying "Can I have a quick go on your PowerBook? I'd need to power mine up" and "Can I just quickly use yours? It's much nicer to use" and other such things, and he eventually sold his and bought a iBook, through no nagging from me whatsoever. :p

Could you get something like a second hand iBook for yourself? You could get a G4 for fairly cheap these days.
  6. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Rose, just be honest and tell him you want a Mac. That should at least be enough for it to be seriously considered.

Why not turn it on its head and ask him why he wants/needs Windows? If it's some old wives' tale like "They don't open Word documents", you're on to a winner. But he may have genuine reasons why Macs just don't suit him.
  7. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    you could always withhold........ well. you know. :eek:
  8. freebooter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    Daegu, South Korea
    This is your best approach, I think. Also, going for the black model might help. Good luck. Mac is better than WinDos by far. The only downside is that there is no hardware competition.
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I gotta agree with Chundles also... so unless you're going to...

A) pay for his computer
    B) use it more than he does
    C) provide substantial tech support for him

You should respect his informed decision.
  10. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    you already answered your own question.

you want mac, he wants windows.... mac laptops runs both. done.

now your only problem will be not getting to use your mac part of the laptop for hours at a time while he reloads windows. :eek:
  11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I'm confused. Are you trying to get him to buy a mac because YOU want a mac, or just because you think he'd be happier with a mac himself?

I read your post and it sounded like the second part, but everyone seems to have interpreted it as the first.

If it's the first part, then why can't he get a windows, and you get an older mac laptop? Like someone else already pointed out, you can get old iBook G4s for fairly cheap nowadays. I also agree that this would be the best way to get him to convert. Trying to convince him probably won't work. The best way is for him to see how easy to use and how happy you are with your mac, and then be persuaded himself.

If it's the second part, then oh well for him. Let him get his pc, and laugh at him when it breaks (haha). Some people just don't want a mac.. why force them? You've offered the idea, showed him the store.. if he's still not interested, there's probably not much more you can do.
  12. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    My interpretation of the post is that they are buying only one computer, and she wants a Mac whereas he wants a Windows system. I don't think this is a matter of trying to convince him to use OS X so much as its one of her trying to convince him to buy the system she wants.

A Mac would run both, and of course it wouldn't run Windows as fast as a similarly-priced PC, but I'd think that it's a fair compromise, as they want different things.
  13. thworple macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2005
    Sussex, England
    Make him an offer he can't refuse (Corleone-style) . ;)
  14. trueheart78 macrumors member

Sep 21, 2006
    That, and with Vista around the corner he may be planning for that. It's not written in stone if the Mac will work with Vista like it does XP, is it?

I would totally let him do his own thing. If this is a 2 item purchase possibility, have him wait on the PC and see about an iBook, as stated above. Who knows, after some usage, he may get curious. one of the biggest things that will convert someone is if they can use it at their convenience and see that the one who's letting them use it is totally happy and having little to now issues that can't be fixed easily.

Also, if price plays in, don't forget the spam and virus protection that PC's require. Norton makes an AV for Mac, but it's not important from everything I've gathered from my visits to this forum.
  15. ascender macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2005
    The Intel chips give people the ideal opportunity to have a play with a Mac now. I find that once people actually have a while with a Mac, see that there is loads of software for it, as well as stuff like MS Office, they quickly see the attraction.
  16. carfac macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2006
    If it is for him, and just something you want BUT HAVE NEVER USED (it sounds like), I do not see how what you may want has any bearing on what he should do. If it is his copmputer, let him get it.

If you want one so bad, go buy one yourself. If you do not use one enough to justfy that, you are not justified in changing his mind about this.

The line about a mac running Windows is BS. Yes, it does... kinda. Not well enough for someone who like windows to be happy with. It is forcing something onto something else not really designed for it, just popped in as an afterthought.

If you like Apple and it's system, then a Mac book or mac book pro is fine. If you (that is your husband) wants windows, it is much better to get a windows laptop- in (my) useage, the MBP when running windows for someone who WANTS Windows is crippled.

Just don't get a Dell, ok????

I know from personal experience that if YOU force him to switch, he will not like it (no matter how much the fan boys say it is better). He will always pick at it, be annoyed at it, do the "why doesn't it do this like Windows" all the time, and generally have a total negative attitude. He may even hold it against you.

He HAS to want to switch to make it work. If that is what you want, get hiom to want to try and use an Apple- once he wants to, he will not mind the difference. But you force it, he will hate it.
  17. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    By yourself the machine YOU want.

If you are going to run both OSX and WindowsXP/Vista, then make sure you
    upgrade the HD to allow for both OS partitions.

You also want to get at least 1 GB RAM.

If either of you are entitled to the education discount, be sure to take advantage of those price savings.
  18. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    So, by your logic, Windows is not designed to run on Intel Core Duo/Core 2 Duo/Xeon processors with regular video cards; regular Hard drives; regular RAM; regular everything?

Windows, when running natively on a Mac isn't emulated, virtualised or anything like that, it's running natively. As far as Windows is concerned it could be running on a Dell for all it cares.

Explain yourself because Windows when running on a Mac after partitioning with Boot Camp is running just as it would on a generic PC with the same specs.
  19. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Tell him that you can run windows on the mac. Constant badgering does the trick aswell :p
  20. carfac macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2006
    Hey Chundles:

First off, rebooting to get to other programs is a hassle. Which is a lot of what may happen- with one OS, you just run, and share info between programs... but if you get your mail in OS X, and decide you need to work on it in Win, you're screwed.

I have done a lot of my dual systems with Parellels, which I find a better solution for me. But it runs like Ca ca.

Second, FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, a MBP is not set up like a win laptop. Buttons are different, you have a one not two button finfer scroll thingy, etc. If someone is used to Windows, there is an adjustment.

If my wife forced me to use this alt version, I tell you, every single time I could not do something exactly in the way I would in Windows, I would be ragging on her and raising holy hell about it. On the other hand, if I wanted to make the change, I would make the adjustment because it was my choice.

I would say, that in my usage (based on MY desire to change, not being forced or cajoled into it), and running Vista side by side with OS X, it's a no brainer- OS X is MUCH better- faster, more fun, etc. But I still need my Windows Laptop More than I need a "fun" system. Take that away from me, or make it hard for me to use (Boot Camp) and I am going to be pissed every time I have to use it.

Make sense Chundles?

21. mooncaine macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2004
    How about pointing out that he won't have to spend as much time maintaining it [downloading patches, running extra pieces of security software that also need constant attention, re-installing software, restarting after crashes or installs, and troubleshooting Windows]? Point out what he could do with that time instead, in terms that would appeal [i.e., not doi more yard work or take you to dinner, but rather: more time to play on the computer, or more time doing what he likes to do].

If his main motive is really to get a Windows-only game [or several] to run on his computer, it'll still be tough to convince him, though, and if there are particular applications that he can only get for Windows [for example, if he works in real estate, or if his workplace demands certain Windows-only apps], he might feel forced to choose a Windows system regardless.

Time spent futzing with computers was the main reason I came to love the Mac -- I spend less time futzing with it, and more time getting real use out of it -- and I was a reluctant Mac convert. Stability [almost no crashes] and time saved were the things that sold me on it. I managed to convince my spouse-to-be that her next computer should be a Mac Mini, on which she could still do everything she does now [email, web browsing, storing pictures, adjusting pictures], yet would spend less time waiting on me to troubleshoot or maintain her computer. Thus, she'd get more use out of it with less inconvenience to her [and, I'm grateful to say, less trouble for me, too]. After almost a year, she's at least convinced that it has been working for her more often than the old PC was -- in fact, the only thing she's had to wait on was for the software updates to download -- which she'd also have to wait on if it were a Windows machine. No more crashes -- far, far less, in fact. I make it easier on her by taking care of updates when she's not using the computer whenever possible.
  22. carfac macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2006
    Or, let me put it this way. Lets just suppose you can run OS X on a Dell, same as boot camp or Parellels. You want a MBP, but your wife wants this sweet dell for 1399, with all the same stuff your MBP is loaded with (only it has a C2D, and your MBP doesn't! :eek: ).

You LOVE your OS, but she thinks the Vista is the best. "Plus, honey, we are saving 700 dollars, and I can use that to furnish Baby Chundles rooms!"- You get the picture, right?

How happy are you gonna be switching to Dell? Aren't you going to be pissed EVERY TIME you open that and see the Dell Logo?

My point is NOT that Apple is better than Vista, or vise versa.. or one colsts less or more, or one has C2D and one doesn't... My point is that when you take something someone is used to working on day in and day out and switch that for something THEY DO NOT WANT, they will hold it against you.

You want him to get a mac? Get him to Like OS X! Simple!

23. carfac macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2006
    This line is so full of bs... do you think he will spend more time installing a couple programs (he probably already has) than learning a whole new OS?

WHat a tired and stupid arguement FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT WANT TO SWITCH.
  24. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Why don't you just buy a Mac for yourself if you really want one, and let your husband buy what ever he wants? :rolleyes:
  25. carfac macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2006
    That is ther best answer!