How close are we to a Powerbook upgrade??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ministerd, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ministerd macrumors newbie

I was itching to do that cram thing... and save some money..
    BUT is a upgrade to the powerbooks coming soon???
    or are we looking at January at Macworld..

My gut feeling is that a little speed bump is coming to the powerbook line..
    not a huge revision.. but just a bump...

any thoughts??

2. NCTRNL macrumors regular

This is a question that you can constantly ask yourself. Most say that it will be Jan-Feb 2005 before an update is out...MAYBE. I just went ahead and bought mine now with the Cram and Jam thing. Already got my iPod...waiting for the powerbook...

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i highly doubt that there'll be a revision in any of the qualifying laptops while cram and jam is in effect.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I agree. Buy now and take advantage of the $200 rebate. Upgrade possible at MWSF, but likely only a minor bump. G5 no sooner than WWDC, imho.

5. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I'd say buy now and take advantage of the offer. Updates aren't likely for a while and probably won't be that impressive anyway.

JOD8FY

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

C&J is used to get rid of "old" model/stock. You'll never see a new model during the C&J promo. Buy now.

7. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

I psoted something similar in another thread, but I'd say its a safe buy to do it now, esp. wiht the savings of the C&J.

As far as anyone knows, there's really no where for the Powerbook to go yet. The 7447A seems maxed out @ 1.5, there's been speculation on a couple of rumor sites about a 7448 that might yeild a bump, and no one knows if the Freescale e600 exists anywhere but on paper at the moment.

So basically if there is an update in the near future, you might gain +/- 100 mHz, and lose out on the $200 savings. Yay, you could post a a scant few point higher on Barefeats as a trade off.

Buy it now!

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

The powerbooks were only updated recently. I don’t think they're be any updates, big or small anytime soon.

Get it now ;)

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

not that recently, really. It's actually been quite a few months now. But I still don't think we'll see new ones soon because apple doesn't have the tech ready to update them.

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

When were the last updates? April, March? It was just after i bought my powerbook.

11. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

But people said the same thing about ipod and apple released a new one during the cram and jam, so you never know...

12. ign macrumors member

I bet they'll come with ibooks at least, and pbooks too maybe,
    by november, but it won't be a big change, just speed bumps type of things,
    unless they have brand new stuff to show in january

13. dejaentendu macrumors newbie

April 19, according to the Buyer's Guide.

I just bought my PowerBook a month ago and love it. Go for it. :)

14. morkintosh macrumors regular

WWDC 2006 maybe

15. Zaty macrumors 65816

The Powerbooks are usually updated every 6-8 moths. The last update was on April 19, which would hint to an update in October/November. But I think that an update in early 2005 (MWSF?) seems more likely because it seems only logical that the top-end models will get one of those brand new 100 GB HDs. Hitachi as well as Toshiba said they would start production shortly. Secondly, as others said before, it remains unclear what kind of CPU updates Freescale will be able to deliver. The 7447A, which is currently used, seems maxed out. So Apple might want to wait for the next generation of the 74xx rather than use a 7447A at 1.6 GHz. Thirdly, ATi's next generation mobile GPU (Radeon 9800 which also seems a logical choice for the next PB revision) was only recently introduced, so it will take some time until they ship in quantities. Therefore an update before year's end is rather unlikely. In a nutshell, buy now, you won't regret it.

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I GOTTA git me one a them 100MB hard drives!! :D

17. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

I'm skeptical that apple will stay in the same old revision dates. Will the massive shortages of hardware products, introducing the powerbook may have to wait a bit. Also, theres the dual core g4, g4 with a small speed bump, or g5 processor rumor.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The current limited ability to manufacture the G5 chip in large quantities, certainly makes it less likely that a PowerBook G5 is coming anytime soon. It seems that the dual core g4 is much more likely upgrade foe the PowerBook.

19. Zaty macrumors 65816

You got me although it took me some time to get it :)

20. bonk macrumors member

you MUST be a newbie! every third post, in any thread on this board, is powerbook G5! powerbook G5!

:)

21. Jays macrumors member

sure we all want new PB's G5, but we must admit that what we have are still the best laptops that are available on this planet.

22. El Duderino macrumors member

i went ahead a couple months ago and got a toshiba tablet pc with a 1.5 centrino, its an awsome computer with plenty of power...unfortunatly i have decided to switch my major to photo illustration and at Kent State University the school of Visual Communication Design (VCD) requires an apple laptop for every major, therefor im in the process of selling my toshiba.

i was looking at Apple for a long time trying to decide what to go with, after Aprils upgrade i wasnt impressed and now im stuck with a laptop that is useless in the bussiness world i will be entering. unless you absolutly need it right now, i suggest you wait. once i sell my laptop i will probably wait untill fall 2006 to buy the Apple (wont be taking classed that require that untill then) i have the time to wait so im going to. thats just my long and drawn out opinion though. if you want to look at the facts, just check the buyers guide its been about 150 days since last upgrade and the average time in-between PB upgrades is 171, i feel its worth it to give a couple more months of contemplation.

23. zebi_ macrumors newbie

quite close i tink

Cram & jam lasts till the 2nd of November in the UK. As long as you order before then u'll be ok.

I really want a PB or G5 desktop, just holding back till I know for sure that there isnt going to be a PB update before I buy. I dont desperately need a new computer - laptop would be handy. Note that if a new PB is announced it will take a while to get.

Its soo close I can smell it :eek: (the update that is)

24. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Ok, if there's an upgrade soon it will probably be minor. Then if you're not satisfied with it you're forced to wait until January. If a major revision happens then, you'll be waiting 1-2 mos to receive it, if not you'll be waiting for the next revision.

otoh, buy now, get an iPod for 67-99 bucks. That is awesome, boom you have a f/w drive for backups, or just sell it.

I bought a 15", 20gb iPOd, and printer. Got 289 in rebates from Apple, sold the iPod for 200(you could do better), printer for 50. Price for my PB=1617. What's not to like about that?

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, buy the PB with the Cram and Jam deal now.

Last year, there was an stunner of a deal (free printer, iPod AND Final Cut Express with an Apple laptop! Unbelievable). So I got this iBook, even though I have the feeling that the G3 is at the end of it's line. I'm glad I did, the deal was amazing. :D