Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brittanydavie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
How come I can't directly access iCloud from my iPad? I need to go to iCloud.com on my computer to access my photo stream (which is also flawed). Doesn't that defeat one of its main purposes of not needing a computer?

Oh and btw my first gen iPad is STILL crashing (safari, email, and several apps) after the iOS 5 update. It's pissing me off beyond belief.

Last edited by a moderator:

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
There could be a fault to your hardware. Bring it in to an Apple Store and make use of your one-year warranty/AppleCare. Don't have either? Tough luck.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Low memory crashes are a problem for a lot of folks, especially with the ipad1. I've been getting them a lot on my iapd 2 also. Have done everything including a complete wipe and setup from scratch - one app at a time. For me its just the web browsers and a couple of games. Looking at the Diagnostics and Usage you will see a lot of low memory issues. There are a bunch of long threads over on apple discussions. No acknowledgement from Apple (of course). It is really making my iPad pretty unusable.

OP, I did have some luck for a while turning off Spotlight Search helpers. It stopped my crashes for 3 weeks or so but they are back.

Since the issue for everyone who has posted started with IOS 5 I'm not convinced that exchanging it will help. For some reason its either not releasing memory correctly or there is a leak. Since not everybody is having the issue there has to be some sort of combination of actions that is causing it.

Plus I don't want another one (probably a referb) and I have $60 or so sunk into a screen protector and skin. At least I have an iPad 2. Folks with an iPad 1 are SOL I guess.

It's a shame because I do like my iPad, at least I used to when I could use it without all the crashes.

Brittanydavie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Low memory crashes are a problem for a lot of folks, especially with the ipad1. I've been getting them a lot on my iapd 2 also. Have done everything including a complete wipe and setup from scratch - one app at a time. For me its just the web browsers and a couple of games. Looking at the Diagnostics and Usage you will see a lot of low memory issues. There are a bunch of long threads over on apple discussions. No acknowledgement from Apple (of course). It is really making my iPad pretty unusable.

OP, I did have some luck for a while turning off Spotlight Search helpers. It stopped my crashes for 3 weeks or so but they are back.

Since the issue for everyone who has posted started with IOS 5 I'm not convinced that exchanging it will help. For some reason its either not releasing memory correctly or there is a leak. Since not everybody is having the issue there has to be some sort of combination of actions that is causing it.

Plus I don't want another one (probably a referb) and I have $60 or so sunk into a screen protector and skin. At least I have an iPad 2. Folks with an iPad 1 are SOL I guess.

It's a shame because I do like my iPad, at least I used to when I could use it without all the crashes.

I have also done pretty much everything I can think of to try and fix the issue, including reporting to Apple several times, but of course you won't hear back form them. I've had my iPad for well over a year and loved it. But I am on the same boat where I now find it pretty much unusable and regret buying it in the first place. I am still under warranty, but I don't think they would cover such an issue and I don't even think I would even want another iPad if they handed me one on the street. It truly is a shame!

dodoa

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
I got the same thing , reported to apple about the problem , maybe they will fix it

davidm5377

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I have the IPad classic with ios5 along with the Safari crashes.
Been trying out the app Iswifter, it's another browser more for the game crowd, but sofar no crashes.
I have to do a online training course that is windows base and it works perfect on swifter.
It's not free,but no crashes.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I don't understand how the OP can not access your PhotoStream from your iPad. It's there next to your Camera roll. You can't access it from the web on iCloud, and until one of these betas is released, you can't delete individual pictures.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I don't understand how the OP can not access your PhotoStream from your iPad. It's there next to your Camera roll. You can't access it from the web on iCloud, and until one of these betas is released, you can't delete individual pictures.

My PhotoStream is inconsistent on my iPad 1. It may be there, then I go to another app, go back to my Photo app, and PhotoStream says there are no pictures in it. However, my iPhone 4S has all the pictures still there.

BTW, I am also experiencing a bunch of crashes on my iPad1 + iOS5. I have not visited the Genius Bar, but I have done everything else including starting from scratch one app at a time. I find it to be Safari and any graphic heavy app including any of the more popular News apps and TV Network apps. I have also seen it in E-mail, Settings, and App Store, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.