how come imac comes with World Book 2005 and powermac doesn't?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mackaveli, Sep 1, 2005.

1. mackaveli macrumors regular

Hi, my brother got his iMac in today, i was transferring documents and files over from a powerbook. I look at his applications and see 2005 World Book Tiger Edition, an di was like whats this. Click on it and it seems like an awesome app. But i never got this with my powermac which i ordered in May (3rd week i believe) That pisses me off!.

why doesn't it come preinstalled on powermacs or does it and it came out after May?

2. _Matt macrumors 6502

i honestly have no clue but my best guess is normally apple throws in a bunch of cool free apps with their consumer models and doesnt with their pro models...for example my powerbook doesnt come with appleworks or world book or anything like that besides Offic testdrive and Quicken 2005...i think their philosophy is that if youre buying such an expensive machine then you must have the money to buy all your own software...or maybe thats just another one of my crazy thoughts... :)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Consumer Macs come with software that consumers might like - World Book, Tony Hawkes etc - entertainment stuff

Pro Macs are considered to be things that pros need - not necessarily consumers so you don't get those apps. Instead you get Omnigraffle and Graphic Convertor which are more productivity focused.

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I thnk that's not too far away from the truth.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

tis true

Yep, that's exactly right. I don't some children's version of world book or appleworks on my powerbook, damnit.
    Most Pro users already have pro applications to install on their machines and have little use for the extras the consumer series gets.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think the idea is that Pro users generally are interested in a different set of apps than home users. I would never play Tony Hawk or use World Book if I had them, but I use GraphicConverter all the time on my PowerBook.

7. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

My iMac G5 never came with Tony Hawk's Underground...

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I got Appleworks on my iBook but my friend's new 15" PB didn't have it. What's up with that?

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Why wouldn't they include Appleworks with the Pro line? Professionals need to word process just as much, if not more, than consumers.

I can understand not including World Book and games and such, but AppleWorks? C'mon.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its AppleWorks, nuff said!

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Maybe because pros will use MS Office instead? Not sure if this is true or not but maybe AppleWorks isn't really compatible with Office? Can it open Word docs? I don't have AppleWorks but it seems like Office would be more "pro-ish".

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think that's the reason. The pro lines do come with a 30 day Office "Test Drive."

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mm hmm. What she said! My PB came w/ Omnigraffle and Omnioutliner (<-- love the outliner!!) while my iBook and iMac came w/ marble blast, nanosaur, appleworks/world book.

And as a previous poster stated; Is Appleworks capable of saving/opening word documents?! I tried the other day, unsuccessfully... it lost over half of the lecture notes I took :mad: