How come iTunes won't let me move songs from iPod to library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diehldun, Aug 9, 2004.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

This is really important. I might as well tell you what all happened.

Originally, my new iPod mini was formatted for Mac for my PowerBook. However, while travelling, I converted mine to Windows to get some songs from my cousin's Vaio. Now, I'm back home. I need to get the songs from my now Windows-based iPod to my PowerBook. I am also planning on switching my iPod to Mac based.

The problem: when I connect my iPod via USB to my Inspiron, it shows my iPod, but when I try to select all and drag songs to the library (then burn them as many as possible via disc to PowerBook), it won't. I've also tried to burn directly from the iPod to disc. WHAT SHOULD I DO??????? Maybe do I have to even go through the Dell????????? Please help! Thank you!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It's a copyright protection feature that stops you from coping someone else's library into your iTunes. There are programs that can find the files on your iPod so that you can reload them into iTunes though.

3. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Exactly as the poster above alluded to.. it's designed to keep you from doing exactly what you said you were doing.. copying someone else's music to your iPod, and then from the iPod to your computer. However, if you do a search for iPod on www.versiontracker.com you should find at least half a dozen programs, both freeware and shareware, to do exactly what you are wanting to do.

I am not going to lecture you about copying music.. but you can be pretty sure others will.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I might have, but you already said "it's to keep people from doing exactly what you want to do" and that's the most perfect explanation possible.

5. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

but the problem is, she purchased all her music from MY iTunes account, and some of them are mine! So for now, there is nothing I can do? (unless I download software)? :(

6. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly what software should I use under 'search'? What's this called? :confused:

7. pellucidity macrumors member

You could search for 'iPod' and 'rip'

I have twice restored my own music from an iPod onto a mac (I have and iBook and a G5), so there are good reasons to have this software.

8. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

and it works well? no side-effects?

Ok. I'm going to download that right now.

P.S. One more thing. If I have to transfer songs from a Windows-based iPod mini to my PowerBook, what's the most efficient way? I was originally thinking of uploading the songs to the Dell, then burn the songs onto several CD's to the PowerBook. Ok?

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

thats ok but how much music are we talking about here? you should be able to fit at least 100 songs on a cd.

10. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for all of these posts, but I think I found the right one:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24179

apparently, this one allows you to switch a Windows-based iPod to a Macintosh iPod, and lets you copy the iPod playlist to Mac iTunes.

Is this what I am looking for? Thanks! :)

11. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

12. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

well I am converting my Windows XP-based iPod mini to my MacOs X Panther PowerBook.

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Senuti

Check macupdate.com for "Senuti". It's the most intuitive, simple, and FREE app I've found for iPod songjacking. Check 'er out.