Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hakkinen said:
One thing about my MAC HELP. I notice when I type in a search phrase for the 1st time, the results will be displayed. But when I entered the 2nd phrase, it just hangs. And after waiting for awhile I press Enter, no response, press one or two more times, it quits.
I have to delete the .plist files again and it will work. Or I can wait for a few minutes, run Mac Help, and it works again for the 1st search phrase. Not sure what is wrong with it.
I might recomend a format + reinstall.
You can find out how on these forums and many places...

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
übergeek said:
pop in CD, reboot, its in settings. Honestly, it babysits you the entire way, its not hard.
Oh....do i really have to do a format and reinstall? How can I save my existing files and settings. Do a Archive and install?
Back in Windows 98 to XP days, the worst thing is re-install. Follow by drivers, and drivers and drivers, and restart and restart and no such device and etc etc....
man, hope this is not a tough thing to go through.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hakkinen said:
Oh....do i really have to do a format and reinstall? How can I save my existing files and settings. Do a Archive and install?
Back in Windows 98 to XP days, the worst thing is re-install. Follow by drivers, and drivers and drivers, and restart and restart and no such device and etc etc....
man, hope this is not a tough thing to go through.
Its waaaaayyy better than XP, trust me. All you need to do is backup your home folder (or example /users/somebody) just back up that to a firewire drive or DVD/CD, its enough to just copy the folder with the Finder. If you wanna back up your applications, just copy the Applications folder too.

Then, pop in the CD and restart, hold the 'c' key when restarting and it will load from the CD. Just go through the installer process, and when you get to the point to choose the disk, choose the option to erase as HFS+ format before continuing. If you still have trouble, it could be the hardware... take it to an Apple store and show them whats up.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Pardon me for asking too much.
If I backup up my applications, for example, Yahoo! messenger, I can basically just drag and copy the icon with the Yahoo! onto a CD or disk drive?
Because in Windows OS, I can't just copy the whatever_the_name.exe, i have to copy the whole installation file. Since after the installation, some of the application's files are in system folder.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hakkinen said:
Pardon me for asking too much.
If I backup up my applications, for example, Yahoo! messenger, I can basically just drag and copy the icon with the Yahoo! onto a CD or disk drive?
Yes.

Hakkinen said:
Because in Windows OS, I can't just copy the whatever_the_name.exe, i have to copy the whole installation file. Since after the installation, some of the application's files are in system folder.
Some applications that install in folders (like photshop, dreamweaver etc) you can just copy the folder. Only system utilities/drivers need be re-installed. As an example, to install MS office, you just drag the folder off the CD!

BTW, things have worked this way for 20 (?) odd years, since the mac first came out. I was pretty surprised too, but thats one of the things that made me wanna get a mac a few years ago...

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Fukui said:
Yes.

Some applications that install in folders (like photshop, dreamweaver etc) you can just copy the folder. Only system utilities/drivers need be re-installed. As an example, to install MS office, you just drag the folder off the CD!

BTW, things have worked this way for 20 (?) odd years, since the mac first came out. I was pretty surprised too, but thats one of the things that made me wanna get a mac a few years ago...
edit: This makes me look stupid! I guess it's what I get for not reading above one post! I wish that when you press last unread that it actually to the ones you haven't read yet, not the very last one! Oh well, have fun reading this... :rolleyes:

Yea, those things work in Mac OS (X or w/e), but hes talking about Windows. Those ways of doing things will not work in Windows. Sorry, bud. You're best bet is to copy the documents from those programs (i.e. .doc and things like that) and then just reinstall the program on your new computer.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
I think to be on the safe side, i will just copy the *.dmg and *.sit files, then I will just reinstall from there. But I may still experiment with just dragging the application itself and save it, and drag it back to my harddisk after reformating to see if it works too.

can't believe i have to reformat my harddisk and reinstall Mac OS after only 12 days of switching. This is not fun. Hope after this, things will run fine.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hakkinen said:
can't believe i have to reformat my harddisk and reinstall Mac OS after only 12 days of switching. This is not fun. Hope after this, things will run fine.
I agree, but since I got my first mac, it was the first thing I did, since with windows re-format/install was "Standard Operating Procedure," so I didn't feel as bad...

P.S You don't have to reformat, but it is a good idea to do it.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Fukui said:
I agree, but since I got my first mac, it was the first thing I did, since with windows re-format/install was "Standard Operating Procedure," so I didn't feel as bad...

P.S You don't have to reformat, but it is a good idea to do it.

I would like to hear your views on why I should not reformat. Is there a better way?
Currently, my problem is with MAC HELP, which seems to quit on me after a few searches. I removed the .plist files, that helps only for a few searches again and it quits. So far 2 quits from Safari.

(Just now my ibook won't go to wake up from sleep mode, I have to close and open my ibook for 3 times then it wakes up. Arrgh, whats next???)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Reformat. Don't reformat. I think all advice possible for your situation has been given. I think you should reformat, but if you're such a nervous wreck with computers, then don't do it.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Abstract said:
Reformat. Don't reformat. I think all advice possible for your situation has been given. I think you should reformat, but if you're such a nervous wreck with computers, then don't do it.
I am just frustrated about why my supposed to be super stable Mac OS is having so many problems.
Anyway, I am not going to do any format for now. Just called Apple support to seek help. Will let my machine run for a longer time to see how it goes.

Dont' be upset (like me), Abstract. I am here to seek help, like many of us. :)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I really recommend doing an erase and install. It's really convenient, and it only takes a few clicks to configure your OS X install to erase the drive before installing. It takes around 15 minutes, give or take around an additional 20 for miscellaneous applications and drivers.

About the drag and drop installs, I really recommend you NOT copy any applications using a drag/drop method unless you know for a fact you installed it by dragging and dropping. If you used an installer, use the installer again. If you drag/drop, you will be missing all sorts of files, like GarageBand loops and fonts to name a few. Make sure you have serial numbers for all of your apps that need them too, because the app will ask you for a serial number again. You will ahve to save your preferences if you want them as well.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
übergeek said:
I really recommend doing an erase and install. It's really convenient, and it only takes a few clicks to configure your OS X install to erase the drive before installing. It takes around 15 minutes, give or take around an additional 20 for miscellaneous applications and drivers.

About the drag and drop installs, I really recommend you NOT copy any applications using a drag/drop method unless you know for a fact you installed it by dragging and dropping. If you used an installer, use the installer again. If you drag/drop, you will be missing all sorts of files, like GarageBand loops and fonts to name a few. Make sure you have serial numbers for all of your apps that need them too, because the app will ask you for a serial number again. You will ahve to save your preferences if you want them as well.

If I reinstall the whole thing, I believe that includes my iLife right. Since the OS and other applications comes with the ibook, will they ask me for serial number? Where can I find my serial number? Is this the same number as found in About This Mac/Hardware preview?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Hakkinen said:
If I reinstall the whole thing, I believe that includes my iLife right. Since the OS and other applications comes with the ibook, will they ask me for serial number? Where can I find my serial number? Is this the same number as found in About This Mac/Hardware preview?
OS X has no serial number, iLife has no serial number. No product activation, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.