How common are employer discounts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lunker, May 2, 2005.

1. lunker macrumors newbie

May 2, 2005
    Howdy, all. I'm a PC guy biding his time, waiting for the right time to Switch with a capital S. Don't worry, this isn't an "iBook or Powerbook?!" thread because I've already searched, read and wracked my brain over the matter. :D

Here's my predicament: at my current job I get a minor (8 percent) Apple discount. I'm in the middle of looking for a new job, have one interview lined up so far, but I'm not sure if my new job will have such a discount. Do a lot of employers have deals with Apple for discounts?

Since I'm looking to pick up a 15" Powerbook with Superdrive, it's a sizable chunk o' change I could save. ... any suggestions?
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    My company has one, as do both of my brothers'. I think it's fairly common for large employers, especially those that do any sort of significant business with Apple.

8% is good, however, and slightly better than my average discount, which is closer to 6 or 7%.

In my case, I can get the discount, theoretically, even if I were to leave the company, since they don't change the information on the online store, and I can set my preferences to e-mail me at home with info, as well as ship it there.
  3. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    Except for the states that don't have sales tax, is it really worth buying a Mac directly from Apple? The discount might just compensate for the tax. On the other hand, buying from an out-of-state store might help in saving on the tax (but no employer discounts).