how common is 17" iMac G5 fan problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FredAkbar, Sep 26, 2004.

1. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I keep reading about people getting iMacs with really loud fans. I have a 17" 1.8 on the way (ordered a week ago, shipped yesterday), so I'm wondering, is this really a common problem, or does it just seem that way because probably way more people post about loud fans than about quiet fans? Does anyone have an estimate? I guess I would send it back or whatever you do if you get one with loud fans, but I dunno if I should be seriously worried or not. I know there's no point in worrying but I guess I'm just curious.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Most people are calling Apple and getting various answers about ram, etc. I suggest you do the same if you have a similiar problem. Don't wait too long and they will take care of you. No worries! Good luck, man!

3. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

From what I have heard, it is a problem with the PSU. There seem to be two types of PSUs for the G5 iMac and one type has this problem. However it is only a problem when plugged into ~220v apparently. So living in America you should be fine. Those in Europe seem to be getting them replaced ok too, either throught the new install yourself thingy (so no need to send it off) or at service centers.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I guess a lot more people are likely to go on forums and say their fans are loud than those whose systems are fine. Wait and see how your imac is when it turns up. If it's too loud ring Apple and report it if it's not then you've got nothing to worry about.

Maybe I shouldn't mention the risk of dead pixels :rolleyes: