How could i hook up my Mac to my tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Piro, Jan 12, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2008
    I know for PC theres HDMI or S-video cable outputs.But for a MacBook there isn't any.Is there like a USB to HDMI or S-video converter?
    Please help.
  2. macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2008
    Which macbook do you have?
    If its a new, unibody model, then you need go to the apple store or and get which is a Mini DisplayPort > DVI adapter

then get a DVI to HDMI Cable from

You will then need to plug a stereo > RCA cable into your mac and run it to sound on your TV or receiver.

If its the older gen macbook, you need the same stuff, except it's this adapter from apple.
  3. macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2004
    Korova Milkbar
    As posted above it depends on which MacBook you have, the old white or black MacBooks use MiniDVI (that one odd port you don't know what is for) for external displays.

He posted a link for the Mini DVI to DVI connection which is useable on TV's that have DVI (since you mentioned HDMI, as some higher end TV's or HD displays will have that) however there is one thing to note with that. You can't use a dual-link (I think there are various names for it) DVI cable with that, you can only use a single-link. Basically, there is one horizontal pin on DVI connections, dual link has 4 extra pins, 2 above that horizontal one, and 2 below it. So keep that in mind if you go that route as the graphics card isn't that powerful in the MacBooks.

For just regular TV's with RCA (composite) connections, or for S-Video, the is what you'd want.

Also, as the sound and video cards are separate, even if you ended up with some way to get to HDMI, you would still have to do sound with a different cable coming from the headphone jack on your machine as he mentioned.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2008
    I got the old MacBook.Wow thanks allot for the help.I will start working on getting what i need to make its possible.I appreciate the help.
    Thank you.
  5. macrumors member

Jan 11, 2009
    Is that necessary for a Mcbook pro which already has a dvi socket? What does it need converting to if I get a DVI to HDMI cable?

My MBP is the new aluminum ones so would I need that adaptor as well? Thanks in advance and apologies for hijacking the thread!