How could I sync a laptop with my iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2005
    Newcastle, England/ Stirling Scotland
    I'm going to be getting an Intel iBook in september (it's is a gift for going to uni). I'm mostly going to be working on my iMac, and then use my iBook as a portable work point. Basically a copy of my iMac (same user, same documents and things) that I can carry to the library or take home for a weekend. And when I get back to my iMac I'd sync it and then continue working there.

I've got no idea on how I would go about this, but it's always good to know in advance :).
  2. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    I think the sollution apple would like you to use is .Mac, but if thats not a option maybe you should take a loot at RSyncX.

Looked at it when I wanted to sync the documents on my Xp :mad: laptop at work with my powerbook, but then it didnt seem to work with xp so I never really tried it.
  3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

Sep 8, 2005
    London , UK
    .macs idisk is exactly what you want.

but .................................
    it only 1 gb
    and it isnt that fast to be honest.

If were talking about simple word documents etc then would be fine
  4. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
  5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Thanks for that link, St Soichiro. I've been looking for something like this as well, to supplement .mac syncing. The ability to keep documents and other files current looks like a nice addition. And, the price isn't bad.

6. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2005
    Newcastle, England/ Stirling Scotland
    That looks to be what I'll need. I've bookmarked it for later :) Thanks.

There's no chance of me using .Mac. It's a waste of money as I see no need for any of it. All I need would be the sync, which I've not got. :)