How could someone survive without an Anti-Virus Software?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ViolentHero, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ViolentHero, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

macrumors member

For years me and my family have tried to keep our computers safe from online threats. These days, after removing a virus on my 2005 Dell Notebook with Windows XP, I've been using...

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Windows Firewall
    Firefox with AdBlock Add-on
    A 2004 Belkin router that's password protected with built-in firewall turned on

No problems since having this setup but the notebook is now old, I haven't used it often. Lately, I hear stories of Windows users who claimed to not have used an AV for years and are still fine. How is that possible? Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. The last time I got a virus, it was from a safe site. I got the Security Tool virus from deviantArt back in 2009.

2. macrumors P6

Intell

They can claim it, but they likely aren't. A well written piece of malware won't slow down the system or make itself noticeable. This is like how a human can claim they don't have hepatitis or HIV. Sure they can claim it all they want, but they may still have it. Even without engaging in the activities that most commonly transmit said viral infections. Only way to know for sure is to get tested. Just like how an anti-malware software regularly scans its machine. The people that don't have anti-malware say they practice safe computer pracitices, but there's still zero-dey exploits, unpublished exploits, and unpatched systems. Any of which can let in a piece of malware. Furthermore, by not using anti-malware they are putting others at risk of an infection. Just like how a human can unknowingly carry hepatitis or HIV and pose a risk for their partners. Mac users fall into this category for the most part.

3. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm one of those people. Before I was a Mac person, I used Windows. I had a Windows XP PC and for years ran it without an AV solution. I kept up with all Windows Updates and third-party app updates.

When I switched to Mac, I put an AV on that Windows XP PC just for fun and there were no viruses at all.

You just have to be a wise and savvy Internet user to avoid potential virus infections. Don't open unknown emails and/or attachments, don't go to questionable websites or follow strange URL's etc... Running without an AV solution on Windows can be done and done safely if the user is careful.

4. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

As Sandbox General's sig says, "Don't install software you weren't looking for." Right now, on most download sites, there are all of these scammy ads with download buttons on them. You have to watch out for those, as they basically trick you into downloading junk you don't want.

5. macrumors G3

NT1440

I'm constantly fixing computers for friends and family. I've had a mac for 3 years now, but I have never in my lifetime personally gotten a virus on any of my own windows machines.

That's not for lack of nefarious activity, I've just never had it happen. Go figure?

6. thread starter macrumors member

I agree but the last time I got a virus... I've been going on deviantArt for years and I never got a virus until in 2009. Some say if I were to use a secure browser like Firefox with an add-on called AdBlock, I wouldn't have gotten the virus. I can't recall if it was IE or Firefox I used to access the site or if AdBlock was active. Don't worry the virus is removed now. Still I want to prevent something like that from happening without breaking the bank.

7. macrumors G3

NT1440

It seems today the vast majority of virus come from websites with flash ads that are full of security holes behind the scenes. It's been forever since I've clicked on one on purpose.

Most of the people whom come in at work though (geeksquad) seem to have gotten virus from ads or emails.

8. SandboxGeneral, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you use Firefox you can install an add-on called NoScript which blocks all Javascript functions on webpages and lets you allow/disallow which scripts you want to run on any given page. This will go a very long way in protecting you online, since many viruses these day's use Javascript to infect PC's.

There is a similar add-on for Google Chrome called ScriptNo that does the same thing.

Here is an MP3 link to the podcast Security Now where they talk in detail about ScriptNo and NoScript.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Sweet thanks! If I decide to live without an AV, I'll consider it.

10. macrumors newbie

U cand deepfreeze ur c:\ after install your programs...and save all your data in another partition...

11. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I have been using the internet since 1996, and I have never used antivirus software either. I don't go on many websites to begin with. When I was a kid, I quickly found a portal of recommended kid friendly sites that I used to stay within that had very, very strict advertising rules. And then when we switched to AOL, I stayed on their kids only channel, until some of us started branching out making our own art related websites, again just staying within a certain selection of sites that I knew the owners of, and that had either strictly monitored ads, or were ad-free.

Going back to today, I don't branch out very far on the internet. Gmail, The Verge, TechCrunch, The Next Web, and some others. I don't use Google search very much, unless it's on my phone or iPad. In fact the only reason I even have AdBlock on is to stop Safari from crashing all the time.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I remember those days too. As I grew up though I find myself doing web searches often like for school assignments and projects.

13. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I recommend using it whether you run AV or not. It's a great tool for preventing malware as well as stopping other annoying things on some web pages.

14. simsaladimbamba

what?????

15. macrumors newbie

U don't know what deepfreeze is? Google for it

16. simsaladimbamba

I know what deepfreeze is, I do not know, what it has to do with running or not running AV software on a Windows computer, but then again, many of your posts seem to be out of place.

17. macrumors newbie

If u install deepfreeze on or pc. Why u need Av then? Because if u get any virus or something,will be gone after restart ...so ... Think a little

----------

The question was , how could someone survive without AV. So the answer is, u can do it using deepfreeze(that is not an AV). So what's wrong with that?

18. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, I seem to have misunderstood you then. I thought "deepfreeze" is the action of putting the HDD into a freezer and not an application. My bad and ignorance. Thanks for putting it right. :eek:

19. macrumors newbie

No problem:)

20. thread starter macrumors member

Since it truly is possible to survive without an AV on a home computer, the question is, if I were to run a business with more than 10 computers and other hardware. Would an AV be necessary? So far I've never heard of a business that never used an AV.

21. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It would probably be wise to use an AV (on Windows) in a business environment simply because you have to trust your employees to be safe on the Internet and even through my own experience, that's not possible. While in all likelihood, the employees may not purposefully try to get a virus or visit questionable sites, crap happens when the user isn't savvy enough with computers and the Internet. It's better to have the extra layer of safety and prevention with an AV installed. Don't run the risk in business of not covering all your bases.

22. macrumors 68000

Our business of about 15-16 computers uses Win7 and just uses Microsoft Security Essentials. It's more than good enough - haven't had any issues.

I wouldn't trust people in a work environment to go without that as a bare minimum. People either accidentally click things or are just too stupid.

23. ViolentHero, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

thread starter macrumors member

Keep in mind though that no AV has ever been 100% perfect. Some say that AV are like seat belts of a car. If something bad happens, there's a chance it can save your life and there's a chance that it can't. But like most people would say, as long as we have common sense and making sure everything is active and up to date, we will all be fine right?

24. thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I clicked on any ads when I got the Security Tool virus.

25. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Educate your employees. That's the ONLY way. Even with every anti-virus/anti-adware/anti-malware on the market it won't do a lick of good with stupid employees. I lost count of the number of times I had to nuke a system wipe and reinstall Windows XP before the workers got it through their skull. I created a disk image of every machine to get use back to work faster.

As always, the best anti-malware out their is your noggin.

I switch my company over from Windows 2003 to Linux. No more problems with mal-ware or idiot geeks monkeying with the server. The latter is a bigger headache than mal-ware. All the workstations switched from XP to 7. The biggest help was the "$200 fine" they have to pay if I need to fix their workstation. The boss liked the idea of not wasting company resources.