How could that happen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tymmz, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I read the article on BBC about MWSF last week. And they have this comment option. But how could they let this dumb comment slip into the article?

Bild 1.png

Link

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

What's the problem with that? There are useful programs that run only on Windows. Given that Apple and MS are working on getting VPC up and running, apparently Apple agree with it too.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

So what? It's one person's opinion and comment. Shall we change the world into one giant communist government and only allow reports and comments that you agree with? It's no big deal and it's not a bad idea. Many people want to be able to run windows on a Mac.

4. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

You must be kidding. Of course I know that Windows has some applications which you can't run on a Mac. But to say:"That way their users could run SOME useful applications." shows the ignorance.

5. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

If ignorance was silenced, the world would be mum.

6. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

It has nothing to do with the opinion, but there are so many "good" statements that show, that the people have some knowledge about the subject.

And I hope there is somebody at BBC who picks the comments. So, why not choose one which is based on some knowledge?

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Right, "some", not "all" or "the" or anything else meaning everything. There really are things Macs can't do so well simply because the software isn't there. There's no harm in admitting that.

8. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Oooh, that's deep.

But what really got me was the grammar. "Why don't Apple..."!! ARGH!!

But I can only wish....

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

By next Sunday, this will probably be on the list of dumbest threads of the week. Of course, here it's only Monday, so there's still lots of time for someone to come up with something more pointless.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There was a poll on this site where over half the people who responded wanted to be able to boot windows on their Mac. Are you calling all of us ignorant? I feel that I have much knowledge on the subject, and I have no problem with people wanting to be able to install Windows on a Mac. Personally, I feel you are showing your lack of knowledge for not thinking this is a good thing.

EDIT: Hmmmm . . . you are taking this as scrapping OS X and only running windows, aren't you? I am taking this as Apple actively trying to make Macs compatible with Windows, so we can dual boot them both. I'm not sure what the comment meant. Either way, the comment is still just one man's thought.

11. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I find it rather amusing with the broken grammar and that it was patched right into the article. Funny. :D

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You say something about my mum??:mad:

:D ;) :p

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^I'm not gonna reply with a joke because you live in the same city as me. ;)

(and you can hunt me down!)

:eek:

14. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It's one guy, a small fry in the giant universe of the Internet. Who cares what he says?

15. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Don't worry about them, Tymmz. I know what you're saying and I had the same interpretation as you did. He sounded like, if Apple let people run Windows, then maybe they'd actually get to use useful programs, as if useful programs exist only for Windows. I hear that trash talk from my mom everyday, hehe. But she thinks Dells are great computers, so I just let it slide. :p

16. apple2991 macrumors 6502

To interpret the man's comment to be suggestive of a dual-boot setup is faulty at best. There is no mention of anything regarding dual-booting, or even keeping any Apple software (let alone OS-related software) on the machine at all. Another factor to lend credence to the "he must be completely ignorant" side is that he recommends running Windows XP on Apple laptops. Granted, it could be mere semantics, but it doesn't demonstrate a robust view of Apple or personal computers in general.

The way it reads is that by going Intel, Apple is basically going halfway to Windows (semi-implying that Windows is better). So why don't they go "the whole hog" and be able to run useful applications (based on the first sentence of his post, is most definitively implying Windows is better/OS X has no useful apps.)

Sure, he has a limited amount of space to express whatever view he may have, but that means he would choose his words MORE carefully rather than less to avoid confusion just like this.

Stop making excuses for him.

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

The BBC doesn't censor users' posts in the way some news networks do. They do however check for bad language and anything off topic.

I know some people who love Apple's machines but hate OSX, this way they could run XP on their iMac..... who cares, it's their machine, what does it matter to you if Apple & Microsoft make money out of it?

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you think that's bad, you should see some of the comments about Michael Schumacher on the BBC boards. Anyone who claims Nigel Mansell is/was better than Schumi has some SERIOUS screws loose. :rolleyes:

19. apple2991 macrumors 6502

With however little due respect, what are you talking about? Did you read the OP rant? Nobody was complaining that someone is doing something naughty with their computer that we should all disapprove of, nor that anyone is taking away from the proper company's sales. The only complaint was that the poster on the BBC article implied that only Windows XP has useful apps on it, and that using a Mac isn't very practical because--and only because--it doesn't run Windows.

20. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Okay, I thought they might have people in the studio who check for comments which give a greater value to the subject itself.

21. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Let's not forget that in this particular instance, the comment was, in fact, chosen by someone at the BBC to shine. While it is true that BBC does not censor comments the way some do (or don't), this comment was placed mid-article, akin to quotes from top scientists in other articles, point-by-point rundowns in other articles, etc.

This wasn't just strewn listlessly on the article message board, so there is certainly the question of whether or not the BBC should have "moderated" this quote up to the top of the article, who did it, and of course how badly it misconstrues the OS X platform to clueless BBC readers who nod their head in agreement with the guy's uninformed quote, believing that the BBC somehow endorses or gives credence to the notion that Macs have no practical value.