How could this possibly be Apple certified?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dpaanlka, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Omni sells tons of PC RAM too. And I can't really think of a previous case where the performance of the heat sink was as vital as this.

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sending a question to the seller gave me this very weird response:

So in other words, they completely ignored the fact that Apple Spec is not the same as JEDEC spec.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you're uncomfortable buying from them, look elsewhere. given the information you provided, i don't think i'd order from them. as realistic or legitimate as it seems, their eBay page just seems odd to me.

5. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I have no plans on buying their JEDEC memory... I just can't believe they're so incompetent.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've bought from omni before, but from their website, not through ebay. The ram was good quality and shipping/responsiveness was good. That said, what a weird response!!:confused: If you check out their website, they claim their ram 'meets or exceeds' JEDEC specifications so...

And for the record, I bought 1 GB (512x2) of PC-3200 for my former PowerMac.

YT

7. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Exactly... JEDEC is not sufficient for Mac Pro ram, according to Apple.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

:confused: Have they changed something since publishing the user's guide? p.32:
    "When purchasing DIMMs for use in Mac computers, make sure that the memory vendor conforms to the Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC) specification"

Where do they say JEDEC is not sufficient?

9. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I don't believe that you read that page correctly. JEDEC is necessary to get the DIMMs to actually work (i.e. that it has the correct timing and communication circuitry). DIMMs without heat sinks that fit Apple requirements but are JEDEC certified will actually work. But because they will generate more heat will lead to one or both of two things; increased fan usage and/or decreased performance as the system slows the RAM down to reduce heat.

cheers.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

hehe.. I read the page correctly, but not the thread. The complaint is about the heat sinks.. JEDEC ram is what apple recommends, that's all it says on that page - but at the back it mentions only 'Apple Approved Heat Sinks' :rolleyes: . But, the odd thing is that most of their (omni's) ram has what looks like apple heat sinks, but that particular set does not.

Good heat sinks?

Bad Heat Sinks?

Anyway, a response like the one posted in this thread is disconcerting...

YT