Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I tried asking this in the garage band thread, but that one is full of the understandable excitement of mac users with computers which are not, gasp, over TWO YEARS OLD! hehe, sorry, i often like to comment about the difficulty of keeping up to date with the computer industry for a student.
anyways... apple store says garage band requires a 600mHz G3, i've got 500.
what happens if i try to run it on this guy? will he blow up? will he lose his blue dalmation spots? or will the application simply not run.
if GB would work, just a little slow or something, i'd definitely go out and buy the new iLife.

common guys, encourage me, and don't start discouraging me just so that i'll go out and buy a new mac and your favourite corporation will do that much better this quarter. apple doesn't need my money as much as i do...

kryten2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
I'm assuming that it probaly won't even install,without a 600mhz processor and if it did it would notrun well.Im sure on my 700 g4 its gonna be slow

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Stolen from a virus alert parody...

--------

It will re-write your hard drive. Not only that, but it will scramble any disks that are even close to your computer. It will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream goes melty. It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, screw up the tracking on your television and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you try to play.

It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. It will mix Kool-aid into your fishtank. It will drink all your beer and leave its socks out on the coffee table when there's company coming over. It will put a dead kitten in the back pocket of your good suit pants and hide your car keys when you are late for work.

It will make you fall in love with a penguin. It will give you nightmares about circus midgets. It will pour sugar in your gas tank and shave off both your eyebrows while dating your girlfriend behind your back and billing the dinner and hotel room to your Discover card.

It will seduce your grandmother. It does not matter if she is dead, such is the power of it, it reaches out beyond the grave to sully those things we hold most dear.

It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can't find it. It will kick your dog. It will leave libidinous messages on your boss's voice mail in your voice! It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to behold. It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.

It will give you Dutch Elm disease. It will leave the toilet seat up. It will make a batch of Methanphedime in your bathtub and then leave bacon cooking on the stove while it goes out to chase gradeschoolers with your new snowblower.

--------

Seriously, tho, it'll probably just run slow. Some parts may not have enough power to work in real-time. Try and borrow a copy first. If it works, buy your own.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think that you can depend on minimum requirements being minimal for a reasonably enjoyable experience. Going below them might work but would almost certainly guarantee your displeasure with the software and subsequent teeth-gnashing.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Minimum shiminum

It will work, but it will be slow. The processor is important, but memory is much more so. If you're going to use this program on a 600mhz G3 you would do well to shove 512k+ in your machine. Panther has a requirement of 300mhz+ G3 and I've been running it on my 233 Rev. A iMac and it works rather well so long as you're patient—the spinning beachball is my nemesis on that machine. But, it only has 128mb of memory which is also a minimum requirement.
Make sure you're running Panther though, it helps out those old G3s.
Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.