How dangerous is it to take your MPB in the bathroom while you're showering. Steamy?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Bobby Corwen, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    So I like to take showers that are a bit steamy. Not sauna status, but the mirrors do get fogged up. I don't like to turn on the loud thingy because it makes me kinda chilly.

I pretty much enjoy listening to music while I am in the shower and I was wondering if its dangerous to just have the MBP sitting there on my cabinet open and playing music while I shower for 30 min?

I mean it doesn't get moist by any means but if I touch it i can sense that there is a bit non-dryness on the aluminum and screen if that makes sense. Almost as if I breathed hot air on it.

How susceptible is this machine to water damage?

I'm just thinking that maybe I am overly afraid for nothing because it takes a lot more wetness to short circuit something. Or then again what if that moisture is enough to potentially harm it?

I just like music and showering...
  2. macrumors 65816

Feb 2, 2010
    Woodstock, GA USA
    Why would u wanna do that. Something that expensive and fragile should not be anywhere near steam or water. Just take a little radio or something.

I personally use my iPod Dock.
  3. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    It's moderately susceptible, but by putting it into a humid room you're probably also triggering the moisture stickers. Good luck getting an Applecare repair in the future.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
  5. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    What about getting some cheap boxes and connecting them to your MBP, which safely sits outside the bathroom?

Shower. . . Humidity . . . Oh No
    Will the steam from the shower in my bathroom hurt my laptop?

About that water usage:
  6. macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    Dont do it, that ruined the keyboard on my Blackberry
  7. dreilly1982, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2011
    Without going too deep, it depends alot on what the ambient temperature of your MBP was before going into the shower. That will have alot to do with how much condensation will appear on your MBP. So yes there is a risk, especially on colder days, that too much will condense and drip into the inner workings. That being said the risk is GENERALLY low. As an option you could look at putting an AirPort express with some speakers to play your iTunes on. $200 worth of electronics vs $2000.......
  8. macrumors 68030

Feb 4, 2009
    NY State
    I just started doing this with my phone...and thats because I dont care about it lol. No way in HELL would I bring this thing in the bathroom with me.

Solution for you:
    -Get iHome with a iPod nano. Those things can practically go for swims and survive.
    -Take shorter showers and get a woman to cook for you and do back rubs among other things.:p:apple:
  9. macrumors 68020

Jun 4, 2009
    With your conditions, it is probably not the best idea.

Leave your computer outside the bathroom and just run some speakers in. 5.1 surround sound bathroom!? They do sell wireless shower speaker systems.
  10. thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
  11. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Though the water bill must be quite high.
  12. macrumors member

Jan 16, 2011
    dunno if it's dangerous but it sounds stupendously foolish of an idea! :eek::confused:
  13. thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010

Shampoo - 1 min
    Conditioner - 2 min
    Lather facial hair - 1 min
    Shave - 4 min
    Soap whole body - 8 min
    Brush teeth - 4 min
    Look in the mirror - 5 - 10 min
    Just sit there in the liquid warmth - 5 - 10 min

So yeah on average ~ 25 - 40 min
  14. macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    you shower longer than my gf. you look at yourself for 5-10 mins? :eek: then you sit in the dirty water you just cleaned yourself with for another 5-10 mins?
  15. thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    HEY HEY HEY!! Watch it! I'm not a girl, -I just happen to be a very attractive and conceited male. If you had it like me you would be obsessed with yourself and stare in the mirror a lot too.

And what does taking a long shower have to do with ones' masculinity even though I am just in there chillin'? Am I the only one in America who thinks showers feel good and are relaxing? Jesus.

And I said shower not bath. Why would I be in dirty water?
  16. macrumors newbie

Feb 7, 2011
    I thought showers generally keep clean water going over you, while constantly draining the dirty... :p
  17. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    Shampoo - 30 Seconds
    Conditioner/Teeth - 1.5 Min
    Shave - 2.5 Min (And I shave more than just my face!)
    Soap body - 30 Seconds
    Relax - 2-5 Mins

I've never heard of a 30 min shower. Do you look like a prune by now? :p
  18. macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2011
    He did say sit though. I can just imagine him sat there playing with a toy boat or something. :p
  19. macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2007
    Go ahead, there's no way anything can go wrong, it's just water vapor. Indulge yourself, don't mind the haters. Get an Apple remote to control your tunes and invest in BOOM to crank that audio and really press those speakers to their max. I think anything under about three hours of steam should be just fine, you deserve this.
  20. macrumors member

Aug 13, 2010
    I bet you have the 17" MBP. You know, to compensate.:D
  21. Bobby Corwen, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    WARNING! It is professionally and officially recommended to brush your teeth for 3 - 4 minutes. The length of a typical song.

Youve NEVER heard of a 30 min shower... that is so dramatic

I just relax and do things slow all laid back...

Im from the westcoast baby ;)
  22. thread starter macrumors 68030

Jul 16, 2010
    I'm just gonna buy an iHome type thing and be done with it.

The only way I was gonna bring it in there is if everyone unanimously agreed it would not harm it and that I was over-reacting.

But thats why I asked...
  23. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    My dentist says at least two minutes, twice a day. So no, that isn't universal. Plus I use a toothpaste which is especially high in fluoride early in the morning (when I shower) that could damage my teeth if I use it too much. I'm also not suppose to rinse that one, though I use a normal toothpaste at night and rinse then.

But oh well, I've only ever had one cavity so I think my teeth are pretty good.

How did this thread become about hygiene routine. :D
  24. macrumors 68000

Nov 6, 2009
    The 'loud thingy"? You mean the exhaust fan? After a 30 minute shower with 120+ degree water, the exhaust fan is powerful enough to chill your bathroom down that much???

I must agree with all other haters. While I can take a 4 minute shower without shaving, my showers usually run 8-10 minutes. Longest I ever took was maybe 14 minutes.

I think if you actually time yourself, rather than just estimating times of things you might find that your usually spend a lot less than 30 minutes in the shower with the water on.

Heck, my baths (when I take them) rarely last over 30 minutes!:eek:
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2011
    1 person dies every 2 seconds because they don't have clean drinking water.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.