How dare he!

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Nov 10, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The only true competition for Xbox 360 in Europe this Christmas is the Wii. Though Nintendo believes the new system will sell out this holiday, Thompson is only marginally concerned about the Wii's impact on sales of the 360. "It has the potential of taking consumers spend and wallet share away from us in general," Thompson admitted, "but at a product comparison level it's not competing with us at all. It's an innovative, low-definition product... People will make a clear decision as to whether they want that sort of product -- a kids toy -- or they want high-definition gaming and entertainment and all that it brings."[/I]

Though this may be true, all that really matters is how consumers spend their money. Thompson's question about the validity of Blue-ray as a system seller holds equal merit to high-definition gaming in general. Can a standard-definition console lure gamers away from the prettier graphics of the Xbox 360? Thompson classified the Wii as a competitor "in so much as [it will] take consumers pounds and I'd like to have as many of those as I can."

- IGN interview with Xbox executive Neil Thompson

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/745/745318p1.html

Lets the outrage ensue.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

We'll see who is laugh at the end of the this generation of game systems. :)

Plus I can't see how the Wii won't make more money then 360 mainly because the Wii make money from day 1.

Also as for the Wii being a "toy" and the 360 not being on, it is a joke. A few people might buy 360 as a HD-DVD player(or PS3 as a blue-ray player), or use the extra features to jusifty the system(or for kids to get there parnets to think they need it) but at the end of the day most people are buying game systems to play games.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Aren't they all toys?

As for this guy's comments, it's amazing how some people can't get over the "my <daddy/gun/weiner/whatever> is better than yours" mindset.

That being said, the little woman and I are getting a Wii sometime after Christmas when the fervor hopefully dies down a little.

4. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Well Microsoft believes that producing a more technologically advanced system is the right strategy to sell more systems and many more games so that it can recoup the investment in making said system. Otherwise Microsoft would have pulled a Wii and made a more understated system.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Because it work SO well last time :rolleyes:

6. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

It's just a massive investment, that one day could return massive profits. Just think if it is able to massacre Playstation...it'd probably be worth it.

Saying that I hate MS. But I prefer them to Sony this gen.

You gotta spend money to make money.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Really, the whole Sony vs. Microsoft battle has done a complete 180.

Previously, the PS2 came out about a year before the Xbox. The Xbox was more advanced in a few ways (built-in HD, built-in networking, etc.), but that one year headstart eventually proved insurmountable.

Fast forward to the Xbox 360... it came out about a year before the PS3. The PS3 is more advanced in a few ways (HDMI built-in, HD disc playback built-in), but the 360 now has a headstart of several million units and 360s are available to buy anywhere, while PS3s are going to be rare (US, Japan) or simply unavailable (Europe) for MONTHS.

As far as Mr. Thompson's comments concerning the Wii: What'd you expect him to say?

8. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Well at one time they were saying consumers should go "Wii-60" Now I guess they don't think PS3 is enough competition, so they can take them on all by themselves.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My recollection is that they'd made the point that you could buy a 360 *and* a Wii for the price of a PS3, and so customers should go "Wii60" rather than buy a PS3.

I don't think Microsoft is scared at all of Nintendo. Sony is still dangerous to Microsoft.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Eeyeah... why are we all so uptight over this?

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

No, they're dangerous tools that must be taken seriously. ;)

My 2 cents: PlayStation 3 and The Wii will be infinitly better than xBox (and, for the record, I am not a PlayStation fanboy, though my Nintendo fanboyism is not to be talked about :) )

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Nope. Haven't you heard? The PS3 isn't a console, it's a supercomputer! :D

I agree. They're all "toys", calling them something different is silly.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd like to know where toy prejudice began ? ;)

seriously, yeah they are toys. Some one needs to tell the marketing bods that adults can play with toys too, and they dont have to come out of the Anne Summers catalogue to be considered 'adult'... :D

sure ;) unsubstantiated generalizations (i'm sure you know far more than all the game developers out there) aside I'm sure your not a fanboy :p

14. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Dag. I was going to get a Wii, but since a Microsoft executive said it was a kid's toy I've changed my mind.