How di I convert windows ipod back to mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by colin, Jan 19, 2004.

1. colin macrumors newbie

I purchased a 40g ipod in october and set it up to work under windows, I have now purchased a g5 mac and need to convert my ipod for use on the mac anyone out there know how to do this please

2. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

i believe you need to reformat the ipod HD using the Disk Utility application in your G5 :

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utiliity

Note: you will lose all your data and music in the process.

3. colin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have tried to format the ipod however the mac says ipod connected but not mounted on desktop. I am very new to macs I have only ever used pcs so if I am doing somethig stupid please go gentle with me.

thanks

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I suggest you check Apple's support pages. I'm pretty sure that you have to use the iPod Software Update program and choose "Restore." You would probably download the Mac version. The question is, how do you run it on the iPod, if it won't mount?

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i beleive that you dont even need to convert your pc formatted ipod to mac..

i'm pretty sure that macs can read pc formatting, but pcs cant read mac formatting. so keep yours formatted pc, and you can use it with your g5, and your old pc

6. colin thread starter macrumors newbie

I must admit i thought the new ipod was supossed to work on both pc and mac so if this is correct any ideas why it wont mount???

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

If you use Disk Utility, it will erase the iPod OS, and the iPod won't boot.

Download the iPod Updater from apple.com and run it. Even though it isn't mounted, it should recognize that it's connected and format it for you. This will erase all music and data from the iPod.