How did spicyapple create the movable scenes on her mac commercial contest?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by evansls, Jan 20, 2007.

1. evansls macrumors regular

evansls

Hi -- Could anyone share with me how spicyapple was able to create the effect in the "Music is Family" and "Music is Cool" scenes in her beautiful contest commercial?

I'm getting married in a couple months and have a some experience in the video editing department and thought I would try to replicate something she created so beautifully -- thanks so much for your help!

(I tried writing her, but PM is turned of for her)

Link: http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest200611/spicyapple1.html

Sincerely,
    Evan

2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

What exactly are you trying to create? The pictures "moving" from different sides of the screen or the text on top of the pictures?

3. evansls thread starter macrumors regular

evansls

I'm trying to crete the movable images -- it looks three dimensional in those scenes. Just wondering what the method was, if perhaps there's a tutorial on it -- a plug-in for imovie, etc... all that good stuff. Thanks for your help!

Evan

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

It's called the "ken burns" effect.
    1. To do this go to the media section of iMovie
    2. Click on Photos
    3. Find the photo you want and click on it.
    4. A little black box should appear that says photo effects
    5. Use the sliders and the "start" and "end" points to add a ken burns effect however you want it.
    6. In the preview window push the check-mark button to finalize this.
    7. Wait for it to import and it will go in your timeline!
    :)

NOTE: iPhoto will do this automatically if you have your pictures imported. In the slideshow settings just click "key burns" and play. You can also select music, however you will not be able to have text rolling over on it.

Also I think Spicyapple probably used Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro for hers. But iMovie will work just fine!

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ken Burns effect, actually. :)

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

this is not simply the ken burns effect...

what spicyapple has done is cut out a portion of an image, enlarge it, place it on a different layer, and keyframe its movement.

for example the one with the girl:

the girl is not actually that size in the photo. she is probably a lot smaller. but you enlarge just her, layer it on top and now you have the look of the pieces moving.

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Haha oops ;)

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

That 3D layering effect isn't something you're going to achieve in iMovie. It looks to me like some good compositing work in a program like motion or combustion. Not something you can make happen with the push of a button.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd often wondered how that effect was created as well as I've seen it on TV. I think it's a pretty nice effect.

10. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Erendiox is right, this isn't an iMovie thing. What programs do you have access to? This can be done in Final Cut Express if you have a program like Photoshop.

P-Worm

11. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

I'd also like to know how to do this like the "music is fmily" girl. I have FCP and motion and photoshop

12. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I've never done this, but it seems pretty straight forward to me. Tell you what, I want to give it a shot, so I'm going to try it and maybe write up a short tutorial if I can get it to work.

P-Worm

13. evansls thread starter macrumors regular

evansls

awesome -- that would great! I understand completely that the images are layered, so to get the layers to move separately is what fascinates me... and of course the software that is used to put it together.

Evan

14. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

thank you soooo much.

I tried cutting out the people and adding them to seperate file with a transpearnt bckground then cutting out the background (the icture im using is a studio portrit) nd keyframing it. i just can't get the background to show as if the cut out parts were transpearnt