How did you come up with your eName?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kuyu, Dec 31, 2003.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Just like the title said, where and/or how did you come up with your handle?

Kuyu came from a book I had to read in anthropology class about a tribe of warriors in Africa. To attain manhood in this tribe, a boy must fight and kill a lion by himself with nothing but a sharp stick. The warriors are called the Gikuyu, and I thought kuyu sounded cool.

AKA:
    Kuyu Pro (Halo)
    The Machine (Halo)

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: How did you come up with your eName?

i came up with some cartoon characters, jeff and hatfield, so i combined the names to make a handle...i really couldn't think of something really cool like all those programming teenage hackers out there...actually i should have asked one of them for a great handle because people actually think that jefhatfield is an actual name as opposed to alphatech, ubergeek, or jelloshotsrule

3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Mine was thought up in the time when the term G5 was just a novel rumor that had no last breath but no one was holding breath for. Looks like my handle is obsolete now :)

4. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

im not really good with making names... so it used to be SSJxTRNKS (dragonball z fan, i am) then it became iAmAzN aka I am asian :-D

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Mine is the nickname of my all-time favorite baseball player, Willie Mays. I grew up watching Willie play for the Giants and learned to appreciate the athletic greatness I would never have. Willie got the nickname from his fellow Giant teammates in the New York days, when as a rookie he couldn't remember all the other players names and would walk around the locker room saying "say hey..." - hence the name "the Sayhey Kid."

6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

"Q" has been my nickname since high school. I added "Doctor" for some reason, maybe because I deserved the title or maybe just to sound important.

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

This has come up a few times in the past. Pivo is croation for beer. I couldn't think of anything better at the time.

9. alset macrumors 65816

alset

alset is an homage to a genius

As explained on my web page:

alset is an homage to the great scientist Nichola Tesla. The name, if you hadn't noticed, is Tesla spelled backward.

Tesla holds over 700 patents for scientific inventions. He was the father of alternating current, which makes possible our entire electron-driven civilization. He suggested to his peers that we would one day transmit images and sound via electric current. For this, he was often thought mad. Today, of course, we have the Internet. He gave us the gift of wireless communication, something which is now rapidly becoming a staple technology in our fast paced society. Many of his theories are only now being proven in labs.

Tesla was undermined at nearly every turn in his quest to bring AC to the world by a loathsome man by the name of Thomas Edison. Edison was jealous of the enormous potential found in Tesla's far superior system. The two had a rivalry that lasted long after each of them died.

It has been suggested that upon Tesla's passing, the Secret Service seized his confidential documents and scientific papers for the purposes of war technology. The public will likely never know how much of our modern technology was first dreamed of by this visionary man.

For more information on this fascinating man, one of the greatest minds of our modern world, visit http://www.neuronet.pitt.edu/~bogdan/tesla/ or read Tesla: Man Out of Time

Dan

ps - I hate Edison

also - former titles include "schaw" (plus variations), "technocracy" and "tipp1394ad" - there are others, but they didn't last very long

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

2nd skill level from the original Wolfenstein 3d, right after the 1st which was called can i play daddy? maybe ill graduate to Bring em on one day. Happy 2004 everyone:)

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

during my emotionally growing year or so, someone gave me a long list of suggestions to change about myself, including questioning my fears.
    after i turned it around her and used that same advice to stop the intense manipulation she was using on me, i decided that i would use the irony as a way to constantly remind myself i am strong enough to believe in myself.
    it sounds much more cliche than it is, but to go into the details would be loooong...and due to the sexual nature might get into another gay thread and no one wants that :)
    :p
    -carly

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'd been through a few games, mostly revolving around video game characters.

Early on in high school, I met a guy who went by "reidman" online. I thought that was pretty cool, so I decided to be "daveman". I wasn't trying to brown-nose, I just thought it was pretty cool. :rolleyes: Anyway, I was still using AOL at the time, but "daveman" was taken, so I settled on "DavemanDeluxe". It's stuck since then. People call me "Daveman Deluxe" in real life too now. :D

13. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Gym-nut. Go figure. I practically live at 24hr. ;)

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I got through with a game of starcraft, came across macrumurs and decided to sign up.

Lets see.... my favorite thing in the world is starcraft, and my nickname is emo.

scemo -> w/ l337 o -> scem0

scem0

15. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

While my handle is Manitoubalck it's a typo and is ment to be Manitoublack. Was and still is the name of a line of reverse arch forks fron Answer Products.

My gaming name is [POP]Manitou
    'POP' is the clan
    Manitou, because it's a cool word

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Kind of a long story. First some background. I had a large project to do for school once that centered around Japanese religion and history. Some of my friends and I became fascinated by a particular religous sect that evolved from the fusion of ancient folk beliefs and imported Buddhism.

Monks of this religion would bless crops and cattle in return for donations of food or supplies. They lived primarily outdoors in the mountains centered around two particular mountain ranges in Japan. They were also known to cast spells and ward off demons and evil spirits. They became known for their ascetic rituals such as hanging precariously off of cliffs and bathing in ice cold water which supposedly gave them supernatural powers. They did such tricks as climbing ladders made of swords, walking through fire, and sleeping outside half naked in beds of snow in the middle of winter.

They were known as shugenja or yamabushi and the religion they practiced was called shugendo. A rough translation of yamabushi is "one who lies down in the mountains." I did a lot of that while camping in Japan, so I eventually decided to adopt the title as a handle.

By the way there are very few shugenja left in Japan today because their religion was outlawed at the end of the nineteenth century when the military controlled central government decided to promote their own version of traditional folk beliefs for the purposes of nationalism and military strength. This became known later as "State Shinto" and was one of the main driving forces behind military expansion during the twentieth century. Shugenja had to abandon their beliefs and choose to either promote this new propaganda under the guise of Shinto or live in quiet isolation as a Buddhist monk. Most of those who refused to go along with this plan were killed.

After WWII Shugendo was eventually again allowed to exist, but very few people were left to promote it as most were killed or assimilated into other faiths. Most of their records were destroyed so relatively little is known about them today despite their very important role in Japanese history. End of lesson.:)

17. matthew_54129 macrumors newbie

54129 - It's my "Paranoia Man in Cheap Sh*t Room" serial number

18. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    In addition to being the Information Technology Liaison and project manager for the IT Dept. of San Diego City Schools, (making sure the Mac platform stays at its current 70% install base ;) ), I do occassional voice over work through a local talent agency. I wanted to reflect that on my car's licence plate, but "voiceguy" didn't fit, so I dropped the "u"...hence "voicegy".

http://www.shamonfreitas.com/malevoices.htm

Just look for Scott...they call me "Authoritative, articulate and urgent."

19. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Mine's from Lost in Space..err the black and white tv show.

Danger! Will Robinson.

I liked the bond the robot had with the kid.

And because GTZDUDEx was not available or I lost the password or sumthing.

That meant the trim of car i drove GTZ and X was for generation x.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Macs are fantastic. Been my favorite platform for over a decade now. 'Nuff said.:p

21. X_Ranger macrumors newbie

It was when the X beta came out.

There were a lot of naysayers and I was a strong supporter.

Babylon 5 was going strong and there was a story arc about Rangers; hence the name X_Ranger.

22. Flickta macrumors 6502

Remember Marathon? If you are new to Mac, then you probably do not. It's a pity, 'cause this is the best action game ever created... or at least I think so.
    I once created an e-mail account and wanted to use some word from Marathon, like juggernaut or enforcer... but those were occupied. so, I took the name of Flick'ta. And I am happy I did. It's nice. And the creature is too.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly is the central character from a favorite novel, "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole.

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The AI that helps Molly and Case in William Gibson's Count Zero trilogy, part of the Ummon AI is called WinterMute. (my iPod is called Ummon).

I always think of him when I hear public phones ringing...:D