How Did You Find MacRumors?

Discussion in 'Community' started by gwuMACaddict, Aug 4, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    Just like the title says... how did you find the site? Stumble across it while surfing the web? News article? Friends?

Just wondering how we all wound up here :D

Personally, a friend showed it to me right after I got my first iMac, way back when.
  2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Found it while trying to find out when the next iBook update would be..came across the site with all that information listed. A day later I noticed the forum link, lurked for a week or so, then finally joined when I was ready to make my order.
  3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    stumbled across it when visiting the internet archive... browsed the forums for a few months before joining up... :eek:
  4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    Came across it when searching for info about Mac Mini's and working out if I should wait for an iBook update around January time.
  5. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Well, as I discussed in this thread, I was introduced by my brother. Bastard. Now I'm hooked. :eek: :D
  6. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    My older cousin said I had a lot of questions he couldn't answer and told me to check out a few different sites. I liked MR better than Appleinsider and I forgot which other sites he listed. Mm hmm, then I saw the Forums link, and I was terrified because the car forums I have joined are massive, sprawling, overgrown, useless wastes of bandwidth. But much to my relief and pleasure, MR forums are so neat and well moderated. I can actually post a question and receive relevant, useful, helpful answers. :D
  7. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    google :D

i don't remember what it was that i was searching for but i was having trouble with something (i'm still sort of a mac newbie, especially by comparison to the lot of ya) and the answer to my question appeared in a thread here. i was stunned by the sheer volume of help and interesting people, so i stuck around ;)
  8. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Mentioned to a Mac nut i was thinking about getting a Mac after seeing his Ti 'book and he suggested to check out MacRumors and follow any rumors about new powerbooks since thats what I wanted. Followed it very heavily and bought a 15" Pb Rev. A the morning they came out, turns out MacRumors was so right that I woke up early that morning 6 am and bought the computer at 7!
  9. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Leo LaPorte mentioned it on The Screen Savers.
    I miss that program.
  10. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    that was a really good show!
  11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    I actually was a visitor to MR before there were forums. I would alternate my Mac news from a variety of sources. Then, one day, I noticed that MR had introduced forums! I nabbed my username, but really didn't realize how much of an early-adopter I was to these forums. My user ID is 540... And according to Doctor Q, I'm one of the very, very few active members from that far back.

Long live MR! :)
  12. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Our IT guy and another of my co-workers told me about it. We're all fortunate enough to use Macs daily on the job, so it helps out from time to time.
  13. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    a friend recommended it to me when we were younger, he is a mac zealot who is much more interested in the "political" aspect of the apple community. Stuff how ms will end the world and PC users have some hidden agenda to cripple world economies with some crazy virus that mac will be immune to. He actually doesnt know how to do much with his mac, meaning no photoshop no fcp or imovie and no garageband or soundtrack. :rolleyes: Its just fun conspiracy theory for him. Very odd i think.
  14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

My boiler plate response.
    A long time ago I found Macrumors through the good people at 91FM Philadelphia. They had a show called the CompuDudes who offered free tech support on the air. They had a news section in their program and they mentioned Macrumors in reference to a rumor related to the G4 Cube. I logged on using my Performa 6300, found the forums and 4 years later the rest is history.
  15. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I think I was searching for Macintosh forums via Google. A friend and I were in the market for switching for about 8 months before we bought our laptops. We both joined MacRumors and read it often for opinions and info on Macs. Damn happy we did! ...find MR and Macs, that is!
  16. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Stumbled across a post while Googling for info on PowerBook accessories. Joined immediately and started pestering people with my n00b questions and ridiculous predictions. Haven't looked back yet. ;)
  17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    An Administrator in Apple Discussions pointed me here, after docking me 30 points for posting a "rumor" (I believe I alluded to a Panther update, which came out the following day...this is anathema in there), so I drug my thought processes out of the box and in to here. Though I appreciate and see the need for monitoring threads, I also appreciate the relative freedom in here to at least enjoy laughter along with good information, along with the lattitude to decipher whether or not that information is just rumor or fact. Kudos to MR.
  18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I was sent here by the devil to free the hearts and souls of mankind. :)
  19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    It was so long ago I don't even remember... I dare say I was Googling around trying to find the answer to some technical problem and got ensnared. I certainly lurked for quite a while before I got signed up and made my first post.
  20. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    is it possible to trade-up for a soul?
  21. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway

Google, I believe. I was thinking about buying a Mac, so I searched around for info and I guess MR came up in of those seaches.

Made my first thread, with questions (after searching of course ;)).

Of historical note, I didn't end up buying anything, until later when I bought a used PM G4 on a online action site (and even later, a PB G4).
  22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    But... it was just last year? :)
  23. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2005
    The Soybean Captial of the World

Needed a new laptop, was thinking of buying a mac. Lurked for several months, then joined. Finally got around to getting the laptop in June.
  24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    No, it was just last year when I signed up and became a member (August 1 2004 to be precise, so I'm just past my first anniversary :)). As I mentioned, I'd lurked for quite a while before that – a good couple of years in fact.