How did you hear about MR?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tymmz, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I was just thinking about how I got onto this great site.

And I can't.

Do you remember?

EDIT: If someone wants to start a poll, go for it, I have no clue how to do it.

a) internet
    b) friend
    c) other

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Googled: 'mac forums'

...because I needed to know about Cat5e cables. jsw replied to my thread; we've been married ever since. :D ;)

3. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I was having trouble remembering myself, when I read the thread title, but BV's post triggered my memory. I, too, was googling, I think for information about iBooks, as I was looking to buy a new computer and was fed up with windows, but didn't know much about macs. Obviously, I stuck around (and got a mac).

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I was going to be purchasing an iBook and wanted to know if there were rumors about new stuff to be released at MacWorld NY 2001. I assume I Googled something about "Mac rumors", and amazing enough, I was led here. It took me three and a half years to get around to registering, but I've made up for lost time. :cool:

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I really can't remember. :eek:

Chances are, I found MacRumors while trying to learn more about a newly released Apple product of some description (I have a hazy recollection it might have been the G4 iMac) – it didn't take me long to find the forums and I lurked for a while before getting registered to ask a question about the power supply on G5 Power Macs.

6. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

7. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I just got the idea to check my first post, but it only shows the last 500. Some strange stuff!

But I think my first intention to come here was because of the purchase of my first Mac. "Should it be a PowerBook or iBook?" But I have no clue how got here.

EDIT: probably google, but don't know for sure.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I was looking for information about this new headless Mac that was coming out... the Mac mini.

9. vniow macrumors G4

Think it was when I was fishing for news about the latest Powermac. The forums were register to view at that time so I didn't have much choice if I wanted to read what was going on.

That was four years ago and I'm still stuck here.

Your first.

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Was reading up on some mac rumors and found this site, and joined the forum on April 2, of this year.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here is your first post. There's an option in Advanced Search to sort by date in ascending order that'll get you your first 500 posts instead of your most recent 500.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I used to visit appleinsider.com and it had links 'macrumors reports...'

13. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

thx.

It took me another 10 months or so to go with a PowerBook.

14. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Probably google looking for some rumors about this OS X Tiger thing and the new Intel based Macs - Didn't take long to sell me on it!!!

15. Quboid macrumors 6502

MR calls everyone, only few want to answer, even fewer are capable of answering..........i was capable.
    LOL. Honestly, i cant remember.

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It was quite a while after I got my Powerbook, I couldn't get rid of the damn VPN icon from the menubar and it was getting on my nerves. Nobody responded, that damn icon stayed there for nearly 18 months longer.

I've been bitter ever since.

Bastards.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was gonna buy an iBook and suddenly got interested in Mac sites. I visited a few, registered here, avoided posting for a while because I was scared, and then somehow fell in love with y'all. Apart from the brief hour or two offline, I haven't looked back.

Depending on the individual developer, you should be able to remove that icon by holding COMMAND and dragging it off the Menu Bar. Just thought you should know in case it comes up again. :)

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I can't remember, though probably via iLounge, when I first got my 3G iPod iTunes for windows didn't exist, so i was on the lookout for a decent syncing program.

19. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

I was looking for information on the 17" PowerBook that I was going to buy. You really want to make sure its the right thing for you before dropping $3299 on a potential lemon.

Liked it so much, I bought the machine and as soon as the chance came up, I made my contribution as a way of saying thanks for all the good stuff I took advantage of.

Took me forever to post as I was just sucking up the information everyone else posted. Been posting more recently because my TV service is on the blink.

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I was googling for pictures of myself crying after winning my PB on tiger night. I wanted to make sure they were taken down if they existed at all.

21. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I really don't remember how I found out about this place. I went and looked at my first post, and it was about the name "Wii" becoming official and the code-name "Revolution" being dropped. I can't imagine why I would come to a Mac rumor site to talk about Nintendo, though. :confused:

22. POHeerwig macrumors member

Got a Mac for Christmas and a friend thought I might find some great links / useful info at this site ;)

23. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Wanted to get rid of the piece of junk PC I had and this was one of the places I found for purchasing advice.

Best forum ever....it's not just about Apple computers but its a wide, diverse community unlike the Green Bay Packer forums I frequent.

24. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Hmmm, I have no idea how I ended up here. I think I just appeared one day and no one has managed to shake me yet.

25. asxtb macrumors 6502

I found out about MR from the Apple support forum. It always used to crack me up when someone would ask about a future product and everyone else trying to be his mother and yell at him 'No speculation on these boards.' Well, a few mentioned sights like iPodLounge and MR. Took me a few months to sign up though. But I would always read other posts. And as you can see I still don't post that much. :eek: