how did you meet your partner?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Mar 1, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

romantic partner, business partner, or other?

2. joetronic macrumors 6502

I met my wife at a enviro protest in Fells Piont baltimore. It was when we were 16, we are both now 22.

she triped over a curb and used me to catch herself. I guess you can say it was love at first sight. well not really, we didn't see each other till the next rally 3 months later, but I was looking for her from the start and finally found her at the end, I then asked her is she wanted dinner, and have been together ever since.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

She was dating my best friend. Yeah, I know, I'm a jerk, but it was worth it -- we've been married 15 years. (and he was all wrong for her, yadda yadda)

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Momma Made Me!

I was in the Navy, I would come home to mommy for Christmas on leave, if I wasn't deployed. Mommy dearest was worried her lil boy would never marry and she always had someone she wanted me to "call" while I was in town. Every second or third one I would call to get her off my back, arrange lunch the day before I would leave town. They were all "no good". Then one Christmas leave, I called this chick my mom wanted me to call, I asked if she could meet for a beer at 10pm (yes I was leaving the next day for Maine). She said "Sure" to my amazement (meet at 10pm!).
    We talked all night, the best part, we were talking favorite Christmas albumns, and we both loved the Johhny Mathis Christmas Albumn! Also here was a girl who had a degree, living on her own away from her mom and dad and family, had traveled to Europe multiple times, 28 yrs old, never married and no kids! It was perfect. Navy life is hard and you are away from your familiy alot, you must be independant - She was beautiful, smart, worldly, and soon to be mine!
    Met her for lunch the next day before taking off, called everyday till she was able to come up and see me in Maine for a 3 day weekend (MLK Jr). We called each other every night I was in the States. She came up to Maine for the summer (she was an elementary school teacher) We were engaged at Reed State Park, on the cliffs overlooking the ocean in August, Married in October (10 months from meeting), and on our way to Guam by February!
    We have 3 beautiful girls, and will celebrate 15 years in Oct. 2005!

I am a very lucky guy, she is a looker too! :)

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Met online at AOL's personals in 2000, we've been together for 5 years.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Went to a bar for a friends' birthday party, where I met his sister. We hit it off, but I was seeing someone and am not the cheating type. By the time I was free, she was involved. We played that "bad timing" game for a few years. Then she got married and we lost track of one another.
    Seven years later, I got a call from her out of the blue. She was separated, and had an 18 month old girl. We went out once, I moved in within a month, and we were married a year later. We'll celegrate our 14th anniversary this November. Life is good.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

We met at a bar in the Chicago suburbs.

I was there with a good buddy of mine really just because we were bored and it was close to the house. She was there with a friend of hers that she didn't really hang out with, and they were originally going to go home, but a good song came on the radio, so they kept driving until they decided to stop at the bar.

In any case, we met pretty much as soon as she came in the door. Now keep in mind that I had never (really, never) "picked up" a girl at a bar before, even through college. But we hit it off, and struck up a good conversation. At least I think it was a good conversation - we were both pretty wasted. She gave me her number, and I was pretty sure it was real since it was on a business card (that I assumed was hers).

After she gave me her number, we ended up going to another bar and subsequently onto, of course, Denny's for a late-night breakfast.

It was her real number, and we've been together ever since. It's been 11 years.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Was the night of our Departmental Christmas party in 2000. There was snow forecasted. I hate driving in NC in the snow, because there are SO many people who are just SO bad at driving in it. And at night? Forget it! Not to mention that I hate to mix business with pleasure and in 10 years I've been to 2 Xmas parties..

So I decided to go to play pool instead. There she was across the room playing pool. We made eyes, started talking, drank some beers, I whipped her ass in 9 ball, and we went to Honeys for a late night breakfast (think Dennys with -5 ambiance, -5 foodstuff, and -10 service [but still better then Waffle House, home of the 6 fingered waitress!]).

The music comes up, and 5 years later we've been married for 9 months.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow there are some great stories here in this thread so far

well we are not married, but we met through a friend who lives far away from us, we had both just gotten out of bad relationships a few months before, neither of us were looking for anything more than just friends, and we started chatting online, hung out in person, and we would talk each day for at least three hours, still do, and have had an amazing relationship, and everything is going great with her, shes i just wonderful and amazing

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

We met officially at an LGBTA meeting, but at the time I was big in the news, and he was the editor of the university's newspaper, so he had written about me and knew a lot about me... So he already knew, before he even met me, that he was going to ask me out. The day after the meeting, he called me (still not sure where he got my number? he won't tell me) and uh, the rest is history :)

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

He's a plant! Run for it mister!

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I met my girlfriend on the internet – bizarrely, we only live ten minutes walk away from each other...

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Met my partner beating the crap out of each other in hand to hand combat in the army reserves, I dislocated his shoulder and he busted my lip and gave me a black eye, since I was declared a winner of that bout he invited me out for coffee and it turned out he lived only 6 blocks from my house, that was five years ago.

14. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

She fell for you then? :p Sorry couldn't resist

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Yeah, but tell yours... :)

I met my partner at the train station, I heard her talking with someone and decided to talk to her in the train, got the internal feeling of "Go ahead boy, talk to her" ;) ... yeah, after some weeks without talking, we found us again at the station and started a more personal talk, then emails, SMS's, calls, dates...

16. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Halloween party - I was Garth from Wayne's World, she wa a cat - I had a cat named Garth - seemed like destiny;)

It was long ago as the costume indicates...

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

SchawIIIIIIng!

18. joetronic macrumors 6502

lol, I was wondering when someone was going to say that.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You asked about other types of partners, so I'll tell you a story in that regard.

I was at a PTA meeting and another dad stood up and asked if there was a Technology Committee for the school. Everyone said "no, but NOW there is, and you're the chairman!" I volunteered to co-chair it. He and I worked together for months and he became a very good friend. Meanwhile, I knew that my son had a best friend classmate, but not his last name.

You can guess the rest. By chance one day I learned that my best school friend's son was my son's best school friend!

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Met her at work. We were in a weekly meeting together. Asked her out for a month or two. Dated for a month or two. Were engaged for a month or two. Married for 7 years now.

Around here people are more than a little bit crazy. Long weird hours. Lots of stress. Nepotism is the norm and inbreeding is fairly common. For a while there were 3 generations of a family working here (and not the family of the owners!)

21. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

All-American Story: I met her my freshmen year of high school, but to little success. she was quiet, very quiet, and actually wouldn't even really TALK to me. sophomore year we had no classes together, and i rarely saw her. Junior year we were in honors german together, and so i decided i was going to crack this nut. i pursued her in the way of the cheetah. she eventually opened up and we got to be excellent friends, both of whom had a significant other. senior year comes along, i will be graduating in january and off to school, and she will be off to the navy in august. we won't see each other again in many years. well, all this time we both had been entertaining thoughts of the other in our own minds, but told no one. we would flirt and joke around, but in an innocuous way. graduation comes and i am gone, with the rare conversation on AIM. in june my parents throw me an open house, to which she attends and jumps on our trampoline in a SKIRT to my horror in front of my whole family. i couldnt help but laugh though, girl of my dreams being a doofus in front of my relatives... when the graduation ceremony comes, i am home and go to receive my diploma. i end up sitting right behind her out of all the people in my class, and ask her what she is doing after ceremony. She invites me over with a few other people to relax and eat and reminisce. amongst the party-goers is a guy we went to school with, a mutual friend. we all hang out all night long, and im the one driving. i am having a great time, and decide that i am going to drop her off last so that i can tell her how i have been feeling. well.. mr.mutual friend butts in and says "you should take valerie home first, since i live on the way to your house". for some reason, i agree, and decide i will tell her instead later that month when we leave with some class mates on an exchange to germany. june passes, we talk occasionally about the upcoming trip, and finally the day arrives. From the moment we got on the bus to O'hare, to the whole plane ride, to our first night out celebrating in beautiful downtown Erlangen, we were side by side. it was perfect, so i decided i would tell her then. So i did.. and she says "if only you would have said something a couple weeks ago, because i started dating mr.mutual friend, but i have felt the same way for years". I quickly apologize and am overwhelmed. we leave the next morning for a three day trip to the alps, where i write her a short letter explaining my feelings, the fact i didnt know she was taken, and that i am sorry. I go to bed that night in the bed and breakfast at peace, knowing i had at least TOLD her and she did like me. well, to my surprise, i wake up the next morning by getting pounced on by a very happy valerie. now, i know what you are thinking "thats cheating!" but she explained everything to the guy and he was fine, so it was okay. it couldnt be stopped! we had an amazing month together and things have been wonderful ever since. I am asking her to marry me this summer too, so watch for that post. If you read this entire thing, i apologize, but once i get talking about it i kind of start getting ecstatic and what not because she is my favorite thing to talk about on the planet. Anyone think we should start posting pictures of us with our partners?

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Great story, cyanide. You made me smile, and I'm guessing that telling us the story of how you gradually got together with your girlfriend made YOU smile too. I'll watch for your news this summer.

23. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

My partner wouldn't accept it... it would be a good idea but hard to develop, I couldn't help on that...

Nice story, I wanted to write that long like you but by now I just took it generally, actually there is a BIG story behind us...

24. tjmcardl macrumors newbie

tjmcardl