Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
hey guys..married guys.. i have a question for you..how did you ask your wife to marry you? how did you pop the question???was it special or just like will you marry me? .... i ask because i was discussing this with a friend of mine and im curious about how other people did it...so ya how?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I went to ask her parents first, without her knowing. When I got the green light from them, then I asked her out to a romantic restaurant on the pier, candlelight, string quartet, booth on the window view, etc., and asked her to spend the rest of her life with me.

Maybe oldskool, but we celebrate 29 years of marriage in April, two smart and good looking (after their mother) kids who are thriving and going for it at uni, so we did something right.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
She was over at my place and we were about to head out to the office holiday party. Its a fancy party I was in my suit she was in a lovely dress. As I was finishing up getting ready my stereo was on blaring Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. She was singing along as I was putting on my tie, when the song hit the part "Will you take me away and make me your wife?" I handed her the ring and said "Will you marry me?"

A month later we were married. That was 9 years ago.

With the speed of the proposal and marriage a lot of people thought I did the standard New Jersey proposal. "You're what?"

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Incompetence ran supreme in my process. I managed to get through the asking her parents and my parents for their blessings to go forward (most guys ask hers, but forget that their parents have an opinion on her as well) without any problems.

But, after I ordered the ring, I made the mistake of leaving the receipt in my living room. It didn't help that I was the only one in my apartment seriously sating at the time, so just the fact that a jeweler receipt was there was enough to tip her off. That, and we normally don't go out to fancy places, but I was pushing for a really good steakhouse on a particular day (I wanted to get that ring out of my hands the day I picked it up).

I was going to do it at the National Christmas Tree, but I wanted some privacy - so we went for a walk and I did it in the shadow of the Washington, looking at the Lincoln, to the sounds of the fountain at the WWII.

We were engaged for 6 months. We'll be married for 2 years come May.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
Many years ago we discussed it but we didn't follow through. We were living together and everything was just fine. She had been married before and had 2 grown daughters so we really didn't think much of it. The year before last we went for dinner on Valentine's Day (corny, I know) and I put a ring on the table and asked if she still wanted to get married. She said yes, some girl at another table wept, the waiter bought us drinks and we got married last August. We have been (lived) together for 12 1/2 years, though.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I proposed on a ski slope overlooking Lake Tahoe. Pretty simple, but it was a beautiful location.

***gets back to wedding planning***

ejb190

macrumors 65816
We had talked about marriage a few times and being a bit of a joker, I kept bringing up my plans of being married on a beach, barefoot, and wearing kakis and a Hawaiian shirt. I kept getting shot down.

We were on our way to meet a couple of friends of hers at a restaurant when I took a detour to the Indiana Dunes State Park. I proposed on the beach that evening about sunset with no one else around. I told her if we weren't getting married on the beach, I could at least propose there! The only problems were it was dang cold and we were a little late for dinner.

We were married in a church last September and I wore a tux - I lost that battle from the start!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
to cut a long story short :-

I liked her from the first minute but for some reason we argued like cat and dog for 3/4 months. This was mostly us coming from totally different cultures.

One day she caught the same bus and the only free seat was next to me. We went shopping together and about a week later I asked her to marry me.

Our relationship endured 4 years of living on different continents and finally 9 years ago we married.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
it's finally dawning on us that the wedding's not going to plan itself.

That's why you need an iWedding. It would look amazing but you would have no options whatsoever. You wouldn't so much be planning a wedding as participating in the rich wedding experience that Steve Jobs envisioned for you. :)

P.P.S. Sarah always says she wants to elope. I told her the Indian version of eloping is to have an intimate wedding of 300 people and limit oneself to just one elephant. :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
We went out to a nice dinner in downtown Chicago, then I proposed to her in a local park. Nothing incredibly romantic, but seemed to fit our style. We were engaged for about 18 months and will be married for 11 years this Thursday.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
We went out to a nice dinner in downtown Chicago, then I proposed to her in a local park. Nothing incredibly romantic, but seemed to fit our style. We were engaged for about 18 months and will be married for 11 years this Thursday.

Yayayay for 11 years! Congratulations in advance! :D

What was the restaurant to which you went?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you kidding me? I'm lucky I remember we ate... :p

How do you know your wife didn't club you over the head, induce traumatic amnesia, buy a ring herself, and then claim that you proposed to her? That's how they did it in the caveman era. Erm, at least that's how the cavewomen who "went to Jacob's with twenty five thou" did it. :eek:

movieman76

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
She had been bugging me that she wanted to get a picture with Santa at the mall. So one night I figured this would be it. We got to the mall and she had to go to a store so I ran down to the Santa display and explained what I wanted to do and gave the Santa the empty ring box. Went backa nd got her and said we were getting our picture taken now, but we had to hurry because Santa was almost done for the night. She protested a little and said we could come back and do it a nother time. After a bit of convincing we went down and sat with Santa and when he ask what she wanted for Christmas she told him and he offered her the box. I then asked her to marry me and we'll be together for 8 years in May. We also got free pictures to remember the occassion.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
She had been bugging me that she wanted to get a picture with Santa at the mall..
Cute story :)

For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you dressed up as Santa and proposed to her that way... ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
P.P.S. Sarah always says she wants to elope. I told her the Indian version of eloping is to have an intimate wedding of 300 people and limit oneself to just one elephant. :D
Heh. I've been to several Indian weddings now and it's always so much fun. Good grief, so much food. :D

I was almost as incompetent as nbs2 in my proposal effort. She knew that I was nervous about something, and that I was really pushing for us to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant, etc. so she at all surprised when I finally popped the question. But hey, we've been married for thirteen years now, so all's well that ends well.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
How do you know your wife didn't club you over the head, induce traumatic amnesia, buy a ring herself, and then claim that you proposed to her? That's how they did it in the caveman era. Erm, at least that's how the cavewomen who "went to Jacob's with twenty five thou" did it. :eek:
Well, I do remember buying the ring. At least I think I do. I also have this strange urge to cluck like a chicken whenever someone mentions Colonel Sanders, but I don't think it's related.

By the way, your comment about Indian weddings made me chuckle. When I was in India last year, there was a large wedding parade that went by our hotel. No elephants, but just about everything else. Amazing. Beautiful, as well.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
After I had asked her parents, I told her in advance we were attending a company function at the Petroleum Club in Fort Worth. But really, I had reserved a private dinner suite that overlooked the city and had a table set for two in that cozy room.

So, when we arrived and turned the corner to go into what she thought was a ballroom, she saw a small room with glass on all sides, the city all lit up, and a table for two with candles, etc., etc. So, then I asked her, she said "Yes", and we had a wonderful dinner.

Only the surprise wasn't over. Right before dessert, we heard a knock on the door. Little did she know that I had invited our families (who had become good friends by this time) to come and join us for dessert to share in the celebration. It was wonderful, and she was very surprised. It was the perfect night, at the perfect place, with the perfect person. This was in March of 1999, and we were both 23 years old and had been dating for 3 years.

This September, we will have been married 8 years.

Reactions: Foggydog

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
don't think I ever did

We dated for a couple of years and just started talking about wedding plans. Never was there a moment where either of us actually asked the other, it just sort of happened.

We've been married for 13 years now.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So, when we arrived and turned the corner to go into what she thought was a ballroom, she saw a small room with glass on all sides, the city all lit up, and a table for two with candles, etc., etc. So, then I asked her, she said "Yes", and we had a wonderful dinner.

I went to a wedding reception there. Very, very pretty. And sounds like a beautiful proposal story.

God, I'm spamming the proposal thread... I really am in love this time. :(

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
Yeah, it was real fun. Her dad had the line of the night, when we left, he looked over at her and said, "Well, don't expect this every Tuesday night!"

Maybe you had to be there, but we all had a good laugh. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.